Fragrance oil discoloration and colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

Reaction score
I bought a few fragrance oils that I haven't used yet because they discolor to a light beige. I don't have any vanilla stabilizer but really want to use them. I think my base is white enough in general with the higher lard and other white fats in general. I haven't worked with many discoloring fragrances other than 1 and that one I let it do its thing.

One that I have from nature's garden is their fruity rings that smells really good. Ideally I think a pastel rainbow would be the obvious choice but worried pastels would go slightly off. That pretty light pink more to a brownish pink perhaps?

Will a light beige not alter the color significantly to be a problem?

What colors do you find work best to mask slight discoloring FOs in general?

Brown or black 😂 😂 😂
Now that I've had my fun, it depends on how much the FO actually discolors. If it is only a light beige, you might be able to use most colors successfully. Colors that work well for me with a tan discoloring FO are yellows, oranges, reds - the colors only seem to get a little warmer. I think pastels might change more than medium or brighter colors, but all you can do is try it. A little TD in the whole batch might give you a pastel that stays true.

I've never used that particular fragrance oil, but I think it is pretty popular, so you might be able to find some pictures or videos of soaps made with it.

Brown or black 😂 😂 😂

I had that comment coming lol

Now that I've had my fun, it depends on how much the FO actually discolors. If it is only a light beige, you might be able to use most colors successfully. Colors that work well for me with a tan discoloring FO are yellows, oranges, reds - the colors only seem to get a little warmer. I think pastels might change more than medium or brighter colors, but all you can do is try it. A little TD in the whole batch might give you a pastel that stays true.

I've never used that particular fragrance oil, but I think it is pretty popular, so you might be able to find some pictures or videos of soaps made with it.

That makes sense to me with tan complimenting warmer shades of colors. And a cooler discoloration looking alright with similar cooltoned colors like blues and purples.

I second @dibbles idea. Use TD in the entire batch, then split off and add your colours after that (be aware that TD can accelerate trace a little). Then cross your fingers because you never know what that soap gonna do!

So far, the idea is to make the base soap as white as possible so when it discolors it isn't a big color shift?

How much TD should I add for 50 oz total of soap?

Back