Fragrance oil costs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraZ

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about the costs of fragrance oils and how you determine what quality oils are. I notice that one supplier can have the exact same oil for double the price. I'm guessing it's more concentrated but how do I know?
I see that WSP has higher prices but I'm guessing that's because they offer free shipping.

For example, I was looking for Pumpkin Pie FO and found these prices per pound:
Aztec $14.00
Nature's Garden $15.99
Brambleberry $17.60
Rustic Escentuals $19.95
Bulk Apothocary $40.50
Wholesale Supplies $42.95

I can understand the price increase if you are suppose to use less because they are higher quality but being a beginner I'm not sure if there is a way to know this.

It all comes down to personal preference. I know I purchase from several different companies. Mostly because I've tried the same fragrance from multiple places and decided on which I prefer. As long as you buy from reputable companies many of which you've listed, you shouldn't have any problems other than deciding which fragrances you like.

Price is not always a good indicator of quality.

One company's Pumpkin Pie spice is not necessarily identical to another.

All of the companies you listed are reputable.

Read fo reviews on the websites.

Makes the following is listed as skin safe, bath and body safe. Etc.

Wholesale supplies prices are generally higher since they changed to "free shipping".

I've ordered from all of the companies you listed except aztec. And I would order from them again.

Welcome to soap making! It can be confusing but we'll glad help with questions as you seek to learn.

Cost of producing fragrance oils vary considerably for one manufacturer to another. Another factor in the cost is the volume the supplier is able to have the manufacturer make up. I know my DB I am having made varies around 7 per lb between two manufacturers and I am paying around $21 pp by ordering 25lbs give or take a dollar. One difference is the less expensive one has more synthetic constituents than the one I am ordering, mine is more oil based. Cost does not necessarily mean one is better than the other. I have a few I will buy from no one other than NG and some from NG I would never buy again. Over time you will learn what is good and what is not for you.
Wholesale Supplies Plus has shipping added into the price, so compare what you would be paying somewhere else with shipping. Also WSP does not fill by weight but by fluid oz so a lb is not a lb by weight. Really annoys me with them since my batches require an even 4 oz of fo

Finding great fragrance oils involves a lot of trial and error. You can order Pumpkin Pie FO from one supplier, and it smells just like you walked into your grandmother's kitchen while she was baking, where another will smell of plastic, or plain weird or just lots of spice and no baked goods...it varies wildly. I think many of us spend a lot of money on fragrance oils that we end up not liking, just to find the ones that we love and can't live without. Good ones are a delight, and we mourn when suppliers go out of business or simply decide to discontinue our favorites. It would be great if we could get all of our FOs from one supplier, but I think most of us get them from various places because one has the lavender we love, but not the dragon's blood and another has the best lemon verbena, etc. I think most of us eventually end up with a list of standard must haves that we buy over and over again from the same supplier, but like I said, it takes some trial and error to get there.

Back