Fragrance Oil Amounts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about the usage ratings for FOs. If the IFRA use rate for CP soap is a higher number, does that imply that it is a weaker scent and I need to use more? For example, if the IFRA on one oil is 5%, does that imply that 5% of that FO will provide the same amount of fragrance as one rated and used at 10%? Do you generally use the maximum amount that is "skin-safe"? If not, how do you decide how much FO to use PPO? (Okay, I'm more than a bit confused!)

IFRA percentages have to do with what is a safe amount of a particular oil to use in different products based on the ingredients in that particular FO. It has nothing to do with how much is appropriate to use as far as scent strength. Using too much FO will cause your soap to be soft and the oil to possibly weep out of your soap. It does not saponify like other oils.

I don't quite know how the amount were determined but most people use .5 oz ppo for a lighter scent (this works out to 3%) or 1 oz ppo for stronger (6%)

I always use 1 oz ppo as long as the usage rate allows it.

Thank you, Obsidian. That's about how much I've been using, so I guess I've been in the ballpark. I have noticed that the fragrance seems much stronger with some FOs than other. I guess that's the part that only experience can tell you.

I like a stronger scent in my soaps, and use 1 oz PPO if the IFRA rate allows, which is the case for most of the FOs I buy. I have found that some of the stronger FOs I do like better at a little lower rate and will use .75-.8 PPO for those.

I'm finding that 1 oz PPO is quite strong with some FOs, and very subtle with others. I'm also noticing that they often smell different in the bottle than they do in the finished soaps. There truly is as much art as science in learning how much to use them well!

To be honest, when it comes to FOs in the US (other countries have much stricter rules) it’s a bit of trial and error. I have some FOs that are wonderful at 1/2 ounce per pound of oils, some that require 1 ounce per pound and some a little higher. My goal is to create a lasting scent that provides for a wonderful bathing experience, but doesn’t have you leaving the house smelling like a Cantalope.

My conundrum right now is that my some of my soaps that i went a bit on the lighter side of the FO scale, faded to almost unscented soap. So i started upping my FO to higher percentages, which i am starting to think is why i am having so much trouble with my recipes accelerating. At first i was thinking it was the brand, but then i used Lavender 40/20 EO, as well as some other fragrances that i have used before. So much learning and trial and error.

I pretty much always use 1 oz ppo. I don't use but a couple FO's that have a usage rate below 6%. I sell and my customers like smelly soap. I also don't reuse a fragrance that can't stick around for at least 8-12 months. Most do great much longer.

Thanks for all your sage input on this. It takes a lot of time and practice to gain enough experience to know what's best with a wide variety aof FOs. In so many ways, soaping seems to be a major lesson in patience (never my strong suit!).

Thanks for all your sage input on this. It takes a lot of time and practice to gain enough experience to know what's best with a wide variety aof FOs. In so many ways, soaping seems to be a major lesson in patience (never my strong suit!).
Search this forum for the threads regarding FO and EO blend reviews. You can find a lot of good information about which scents are crowd favorites, how long they last, etc.

Back