Fragrance oil absolete?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest that you don’t try to reinvent the wheel! Stick to the many years of experience on this site and others when using fragrance. It’s a very personal preference as to what people like and what they consider overpowering. Keep in mind that many fragrances release their scent during use...meaning in the shower or hand washing.

Don’t cover soap during curing...it needs to be in an open, well ventilated area.

Frangrwnce and EO are expensive. Err on the side of caution and use less vs more. In my opinion if a soap or lotion is overly strong - it comes across as fake or artificial.

Some frangrwnces smell better the longer they cure ...thus patience and restraint are required. You can do it!
definitely will i stick to what has been proven affective. Thank

Try a folded orange EO. I’ve used Bramble Berry 10X orange and it does stick better. Unfortunately, citrus EOs fade quickly. Litsea Cubeba is lemony smelling and sticks well for me. Lemongrass will also stick around for a long time.

I also used Orange Essential Oil 10X at the maximum amount and it stuck wonderfully!

If your asking whether you can still smell the orange after saponification, absolutely.
yup the scent is what I'm looking for.thanks a lot.
Besides,I got rose wax,tubrose wax from AVAT.I have to say the the rose wax smells intense and absolutely wonderful.But the tuberose smells kind off,not exactly what I'm expecting from a tuberose flower derived product though.It kinda smells more like other parts,say stem or maybe leaves?It seems adding wax would be very promising to elevate the scent experience than EO or FO.For now its obviously cheaper than EO too.I will let you know how it turns out.

I am also wondering if HP soap would be better at retaining scent.I have never done HP soap before but I read the EO FO are added after saponification.I assume this would make EO FO intact from the process.Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also wondering if HP soap would be better at retaining scent.I have never done HP soap before but I read the EO FO are added after saponification.I assume this would make EO FO intact from the process.Any suggestions?

@Dawni would be a good person to ask this she does hp most times and i think shes only really used eo

If you're really wanting a natural orange scent in soap, I suggest using orange wax. For a 5 lb. batch of gardener's soap I used a mere teaspoon and after 6 months I can still smell the orange. You should do your own experiments with it if you are wanting to try it though. https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/waxes/orange-wax-unprocessed.html
Gorgeous soaps!
I haven't tried orange wax in soaps, but it does have a very powerful scent. And New Directions Aromatics sells it crazy cheap...I paid $6 for a kilo or 750 ml or something....
Also the NDA FO Orange and Ginger is very strong. it's not juicy orange, but it's very pleasant and has been perfuming my whole house for a few weeks now as my latest bars cure.

Where in Canada are you and your fantastic creations?

Lovely soaps! I especially like the first one.. So classy, and mica lines are flawless.

I have not been soaping long but I can tell you what little I've been able to observe, using EOs in HP. I've never tried FOs as @Chris_S mentioned.

Yes, they're added after the cook and you don't need to use as much as you would in CP. As for sticking "better" I have no way of comparing, but what I can say is that mine have stuck at least until 2-4 months. I use very less, maybe 1/2 the recommended amount for CP in the calcs, for my HP soaps.

The soap I have that's been curing longest (since mid September) is scented with a blend of geranium, elemi, and I think a lil Rosemary, and today I can tell you the bars still smell of geranium. This batch had fuller's earth instead of kaolin clay.

Another bar from September had lemon, Rosemary and tea tree, but since I used neem oil it pretty much masks most of it except for a hint of tea tree now. This also had fuller's earth.

I have some that are younger, since November, and those have Cedarwood and spearmint among other things, and a faint minty smell is still there. No fuller's earth in this batch though.

I remember neither smelled exactly like this when freshly made so EOs do kind of morph too I guess and also some others in the blend might have faded to leave those to stand out.

I can't tell you yet how they'll be at the 6mos mark, sorry, but I suspect more fading lol I can update in two months if you're interested.

Also, I noticed that none of these scents stick to my skin after the shower, unlike some soaps that leave a hint on you afterwards. Could be the amount I used or could be that they just don't.

Last edited:
Gorgeous soaps!
I haven't tried orange wax in soaps, but it does have a very powerful scent. And New Directions Aromatics sells it crazy cheap...I paid $6 for a kilo or 750 ml or something....
Also the NDA FO Orange and Ginger is very strong. it's not juicy orange, but it's very pleasant and has been perfuming my whole house for a few weeks now as my latest bars cure.

Where in Canada are you and your fantastic creations?
I'm in vancouver as to say

Lovely soaps! I especially like the first one.. So classy, and mica lines are flawless.

I have not been soaping long but I can tell you what little I've been able to observe, using EOs in HP. I've never tried FOs as @Chris_S mentioned.

Yes, they're added after the cook and you don't need to use as much as you would in CP. As for sticking "better" I have no way of comparing, but what I can say is that mine have stuck at least until 2-4 months. I use very less, maybe 1/2 the recommended amount for CP in the calcs, for my HP soaps.

The soap I have that's been curing longest (since mid September) is scented with a blend of geranium, elemi, and I think a lil Rosemary, and today I can tell you the bars still smell of geranium. This batch had fuller's earth instead of kaolin clay.

Another bar from September had lemon, Rosemary and tea tree, but since I used neem oil it pretty much masks most of it except for a hint of tea tree now. This also had fuller's earth.

I have some that are younger, since November, and those have Cedarwood and spearmint among other things, and a faint minty smell is still there. No fuller's earth in this batch though.

I remember neither smelled exactly like this when freshly made so EOs do kind of morph too I guess and also some others in the blend might have faded to leave those to stand out.

I can't tell you yet how they'll be at the 6mos mark, sorry, but I suspect more fading lol I can update in two months if you're interested.

Also, I noticed that none of these scents stick to my skin after the shower, unlike some soaps that leave a hint on you afterwards. Could be the amount I used or could be that they just don't.
Thanks for the info.
I'm working on my first HP soap with Rose Wax from AVAT.And yes the rose scent really came out gorgeous add the wax at dilution phase since I am making a translucent batch. I only use 3% rose wax and it came out strong and very nice

Got another CP soap done.Hopefully that inspires.The color scheme came from the greek hotspot with blue topped houses situated along the bay. Gold mica mimics the shimmering sunset relected from the water.

Attachments

• FE1ECCDA-00AF-4B49-98C4-91BA122D8FBC.jpeg
    FE1ECCDA-00AF-4B49-98C4-91BA122D8FBC.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back