Fragrance Names on Label?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I purchased a bar of homemade soap last year and noticed in the ingredients that mention of the fragrance oils was merely "custom blended fragrances." I noticed in the tutorial DeeAnna posted (hope I didn't misspell her name) that she mentions just "fragrances" but if she add extracts or essential oils they are listed separately. I hope to use custom blended fragrances perhaps with the addition of essential oils to enhance the fragrance. Can anyone tell me how those ingredients must be listed.

Also, can I just list the weight in ounces or do the words "Net Wt." have to be used?

FO can be listed as just fragrance where EO's need to be listed individually. If you use a blend of the two, you have to list both. It would be something like this lard, water, blah, blah, fragrance, lime essential oil.
Yes, you must use net weight on the bars. Not sure why, it seems really silly to me but thats the rules.

If you are mixing EO and FO's just list them as fragrance. When I use all Essentials some I will list each eo and some I list as an eo blend. I have some blends I just do not want to share and would come under proprietary or trade secrets

"Also, can I just list the weight in ounces or do the words "Net Wt." have to be used?"

It is my understanding that:
Either you need to weigh each bar in order to list the weight of the soap ( and it will dry as it continues to cure) or weigh enough bars that you know that the "net weight" of the soap will not be less than (what is listed).
If I list a net weight of say 1.5 ounces the soap can weigh more than that but NOT less than that.

Or you could estimate the weight and add the "e" I use 100 g even the bars weight more, I can see that my American friends know the rules. They are pretty similar, the only difference you do not have to put everything in two languages, :)

Back