Fragrance in CP soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattanjeet

Reaction score
Hi,

why does the colour of the CP soap changes over a period of time. In fact i have seen even the fragrance goes away completely after few months. I'd doesnt even last 6 months
what's reason. And I have experienced this not just with One fragrance or colour, I have seen this in all the CP soaps that I have made differently

well , the place from where I buy these fragrances and colour, they at least say or mention that their fragrances can be used in CP soaps

Some scents and some colorants definitely do fade even with reasonable care. Others work very well. You have to be willing to troubleshoot and experiment.

You are not giving any details about your soap making and how you use colorant and scent. If you want helpful advice, you need to give more information.

If the scent or color you're using now is not doing well, have you tried scents and colorants from other suppliers?

Evaluate how you use these products. Maybe you're not using enough or not using the products properly.

Have you tried fragrances from other suppliers?
How much fragrance are you using?

What kinds of colorants are you using?
How much colorant are you using?

How do you package or store the soap?

Pictures would also be helpful.

A fragrance can be safe to use in CP soap, but still not perform well in cp soap.

The fragrance could be safe to use in CP and still rice, accelerate or cause separation. Additional, the fragrance may not stick.

Are you in the USA? Which company are you using?

You can check the reviews on the fragrance and see if there are any comments about the fragrance sticking.

There is a thread on the soap making forum that I started that has a large list of fragrances with a proven record for sticking.

why does the colour of the CP soap changes over a period of time. In fact i have seen even the fragrance goes away completely after few months. I'd doesnt even last 6 months

what's reason. And I have experienced this not just with One fragrance or colour, I have seen this in all the CP soaps that I have made differently

Admittedly I am a few months short of two years of soap, but I have not had any of my colorants fade or change, but then again...I'm not sitting my soap on the window sill.

Some scents are more prone to fade...I have a Green Apple FO that is one of my original soaps and you could be blindfolded and know that it's Green Apple. I also have two bars of original Lemon EO and the only 'lemony' thing about it is the label. On the other hand, my Lemon Verbena still smells like lemon drops.

But honestly, it's really hard to offer any kind of advice without knowing what you recipe is and where you are getting your colorants and scents. Not all companies are equal and companies are known to lie. Which is why I only purchases from reputable sources, read reviews and make test batches.

I only used fragrance oils briefly because of bad experiences with them accelerating trace and besides, being synthetic, i didn’t want to have to worry about allergic reactions for users. So I opt for essential oils instead. I noticed that fragrance oil scented soaps may smell nice as a bar but the scent never transfers to the hands of the one using the soap as I’ve noticed with EOs. I don’t know if that means I’m using too much EOs!

It looks like the OP is in India.

My recommendation is LEMONGRASS essential oil. This will stick in CP.
As far as fragrance oils go, I can't help because I don't know what is available in India. When I first started out, I had the same frustrating experience. I asked on this web site and the ladies in the USA provided me with a list of fragrances to try, that were already tested by them. Perhaps, the OP can make a connection with other soapers from India.

I only used fragrance oils briefly because of bad experiences with them accelerating trace and besides, being synthetic, i didn’t want to have to worry about allergic reactions for users. So I opt for essential oils instead. I noticed that fragrance oil scented soaps may smell nice as a bar but the scent never transfers to the hands of the one using the soap as I’ve noticed with EOs. I don’t know if that means I’m using too much EOs!

Just to let you know that people can be just as allergic to essential oils as fragrance oils. Sometimes fragrance oils are safer for people with allergies. It just depends on what the allergy is to.

regarding allergic to essential oils are. My daughter is allergic to all mints. So, peppermint, spearmint isn't around this house when she visits. One of her daughters seems to be to.

Some scents and some colorants definitely do fade even with reasonable care. Others work very well. You have to be willing to troubleshoot and experiment.

This! I LOOOVE the raw sugar and mint scent from WSP and bought a bunch. 2 months later and the fragrance is pretty much a whisper, even though I scent my soaps strongly.

I made a bar like 2 years ago with a rose jam dupe from NS and it still smells as strong as the day I soaped with it.

Back