Fragrance from flowers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karstein56

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to catch the scent from flowers to oil? I have a hge Mock Orange in my garden and it smells wonderful during bloom, I would like to get that smell into oil for use as a FO/EO in liquid soap...

You could try infusing oil with the blossoms; but I don't know if the fragrance would survive the saponification process. You might try something like this to distill the blossoms. It is going to take a lot of flowers to get a little bit of EO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, my plan is to use a lot of flowers and hopefully make a srong oil, make LS with 0% SF and use the scented oil to bring SF p to around 5%. The extraction kit seems interesting, it is a huge bush with lots of flowers...

Perhaps drying/dehydrating the flowers for the top of soap would be another way to use the flowers?
In my opinion the best way to extract scent from your mock orange flowers is by using the “enfleurage” method. However remember that lye can reduce natural scents significantly.

If I had enfleuraged flowers I would whip the fat for a body butter. Or melt for lotion bars. Good luck. Let us know what you do with your beautiful flowers!

Does anybody know how to catch the scent from flowers to oil? I have a hge Mock Orange in my garden and it smells wonderful during bloom, I would like to get that smell into oil for use as a FO/EO in liquid soap...
You could try distilling it into a hydrosol, but the problem with using 'natural' colorants and scents is that they tend to fade over time...if they survive the saponification process.

If I had enfleuraged flowers I would whip the fat for a body butter. Or melt for lotion bars.
:thumbs::thumbs:

Enfleurage is a method of perfuming that is perfect for using up your lovely flowers.
Unlike my modern homemade perfumes, this is an old French method of extracting scents from flowers into solid or liquid fats. It dates back to the 18th century and traditionally used animal fat.
~ Angela Willis

DIY ENFLEURAGE METHOD
https://www.savvyhomemade.com/enfleurage/
Works for perfume but not for soap or liquid soap. It is a tedious time-consuming process but worth the wait if you have nothing better to do with your time. Sorry. :(

:thumbs::thumbs:

Enfleurage is a method of perfuming that is perfect for using up your lovely flowers.
Unlike my modern homemade perfumes, this is an old French method of extracting scents from flowers into solid or liquid fats. It dates back to the 18th century and traditionally used animal fat.
~ Angela Willis

DIY ENFLEURAGE METHOD
https://www.savvyhomemade.com/enfleurage/
Works for perfume but not for soap or liquid soap. It is a tedious time-consuming process but worth the wait if you have nothing better to do with your time. Sorry. :(
I believe the enfleurage method would work for body butter or lotion bars. Agree that soap lye would not work.

I did a try to follow this method with sweet woodruff but it didn't work. I picked a large bouquet and put in water and let it boiled for 4 h. Let it cooled down, put a plate in so it went under water. Then put into the fridge over night, but it was no stiffed fat on the surface the next day. I guess the fragrance isn't oiled based.

I will do a new try with sweet woodruff but put it into some oliv or coconut oil to see if I gets the scent into it.

I will do a new try with sweet woodruff but put it into some oliv or coconut oil to see if I gets the scent into it.
I'm not one to discourage anyone from experimenting but trust me, and all those who have come before you. It's a waste of time and money. ;)

Latest posts

Back