Fragrance for Dish Detergent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I've been using my own liquid soap paste as dish detergent for a while now and liking it. I use it unscented, but now I want to add scent to it.

I have FOs that are safe for soap and stay-on products. I also have a lot of essential oil samples that I would like to use up (lavender, lemon, tea tree, benzoin, etc). However, since they will be used in dish washing which will then be in contact with food, I'm wondering if they are safe to use? Sure they will be in very small amount but I want to be sure.
Another option is to use fragrance oil for food which I know where to get, but I'd like to use what I have first and avoid buying new stuff as much as I can.

I use orange and lemon EO in my solid dish paste, and they both work well. I have some d-limonene coming and will be using that going forward so I can save the EOs for soap and body care products.

I haven't tried lavender or tea tree in my dish paste, mostly because those scents would really bother me if I smelled them when drinking water or putting utensils in my mouth. Not that I can smell the orange or lemon now, but if I could, at least they would not bother me or interfere with the food tastes the way I would think that the others would do.

I use a sponge and a foamer for dish washing. My favorite blend that seems to do the best job and rinse squeaky clean is

ZANY’S BLIMEY! BLEND
1 Part Lemon EO
1 Part Litsea Cubeba EO
2 Parts Lime EO

Latest posts

Back