Fragrance Fixatives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellomimi

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve recently ventured into making body butters! Everything about them is great expect for the fact that the scent never lasts :( I’ve tried different types fragrance oils, but to be fair they all are from Amazon (which is where I get all of my ingredients) so maybe they’re just low quality? Is there anything I can add to my product to get the fragrance to last longer?

I would be buying my FO's direct from a fragrant oil supplier and not Amazon, that way you will know if they are quality, you can read reviews on each scent and if they are long lasting. It sounds like the ones you have are inferior quality. You won't know unless you buy from a reputable dealer and compare, you shouldn't have to add anything for the FO to last longer if the quality is good.
I don't live in the US, but here is a couple you can look at -
Natures Garden Wholesale Candle & Soap Making Supplies-Fragrance Oils (naturesgardencandles.com)
CandleScience Candle Making Supplies | Shop Fragrance Oils, Wax, & More - CandleScience

You can try Just Scent, Rustic Escentuals, Cierra Candles, Make Your Own, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Brambleberry, or you can do a web search for any FO or candle scent company.

I agree to use an actual fragrance supplier. One thing to think about as well...you may be going nose blind to the fragrance as you use it/wear it.

Hello! I’ve recently ventured into making body butters! Everything about them is great expect for the fact that the scent never lasts :( I’ve tried different types fragrance oils, but to be fair they all are from Amazon (which is where I get all of my ingredients) so maybe they’re just low quality? Is there anything I can add to my product to get the fragrance to last longer?

I first recommend purchasing your scents through a reputable source. Not that Amazon isn't reputable or that you can't find quality ingredients from them, it's just that a lot of scents and colorants aren't really reliable for B&B (bath and body).

Second I make Lotion Bars (basically beeswax, cocoa, kokum and/or shea butters, maybe an added oil) and I have found that some FO work better than others. I have a box of bars that is a good year old and about half of them are dead scent-wise. Like anything, you just have to experiment (staying within safe usage rates of course)...some scents last longer than others.

Back