Fragrance/Essential Oil % or Ratio

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4lethea

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I can ask you wise people how you determine the amount of fragrance or essential oils you use when making soap.

I have found so many conflicting recommendations. I am currently using 2-3% of the base oils in the recipe, however I notice that soapcalc suggests 50gm per kg, which is 5%. I have read that over 3% is VERY risky and should not be attempted!

I would love to know how you calculate and any tips you have for me on this.

I would also like to know if you measure your fragrance/EOs by volume (Tlbsp etc) or weight (using scales)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Confused in NZ! : }

Well, the amount you use depends on the essential oil or fragrance oil you use...

If using a skin safe fragrance oil made specifically for body products or soap, you should be able to contact your supplier and they will give you a proper ratio for their particular product. Most have it listed on their website.

As for essential oils, some can be quite irritating to the skin, so you should really educate yourself on their usage if you decide to use them. Essential Oils are more than just fragrance...many have medicinal properties than can interfere with medicines and medical conditions. Some common well known irritants include Clove, Cinnamon, and Peppermint. Some people are sensitive to Citrus oils. You can still use them in soap, just at a lower ratio. For most essential oils, I use 1 oz (by weight) per pound of base oils, which is a 6.25% rate. So for a 4 pound batch, I use 4 oz TOTAL essential oils. Many soapers use 0.7 oz essential oil per pound of soap. If I'm using an oil that can be irritating, I only use it at a rate of 0.25 - 0.5 oz per pound of oils, which is a 1.5% rate.

I use about 50gms per kg for FO's and have never had any issues, of course some are stronger than others and you can get away with about 40-45grms. As for measuring your fragrance you measure by weight - on the scales.

Back