Fragrance caused this….

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashbritpay

Reaction score
I decided to make a large batch of my cold pressed soap:

49.4%Shea Oil
24.6% Babassu Oil
13.1% Coconut Oil
12.9% Avocado Oil

I wanted to try a fragrance. When I added my 12oz of vanilla fragrance oil this happens 🤦🏾‍♀️(Picture) What is this?!?? Can it PLEASE HELP!!

Attachments

• IMG_5059.MOV
    5.6 MB
  • A26A55FC-C22B-45E7-BA18-52A40FEEE730.jpeg
    A26A55FC-C22B-45E7-BA18-52A40FEEE730.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 37
Can you post your full recipe, temps you soaped at where you got your fragrance oil and general level of experience so we can help you.

avocado oil 1,073g
Babassu oil 2,046.8g
Unrefined Coconut oil, 76deg 1,094.3g
Shea oil 4,120.6g
Water 3,167.2g
Lye 1,181.3g
Fragrance 340.19g

it’s the hello lovely brand of vanilla

I’ve been soaping for about1 year so still a beginner

Possibly ricing? Try searching the forum for ricing and see what you find.
Thank you!!

JoAnn's fragrances (really most craft store fragrances) are known for behaving horribly in cp soap. Most I think are formulated for MP. It looks like severe separation. You can try stick blending more or hot process, but it might just be a failed batch.

I agree with the others it looks like ricing from the fragrance oil. I would suggest buying your fragrance oils from a reputable soap supplier like Brambleberry. I'm curious about the shea oil how do you like how your bars come out with it? I've always just used shea butter but now you have me curious!

I'd SB tell it become manageable / combined. When using scents FO / EO be sure & use one that is for CP soaps, usually the company will list the products it's best used in & costumers commits you'll get an idea if it will work for your purpose & application. Hope it turns out for you. 🧼💫

I have a fragrance oil that separates like this. I had to stick blend it until it seemed to be combined, but it would quickly separate again. I would stick blend for a minute or so/let it rest and repeat until I could tell that it would stay emulsified. I think it took about 20 minutes. It was purchased from Nurture Soap (now discontinued) and smells great so I kept it and use it for things other than CP.

I’ve never seen that before. Word to the wise, ALWAYS test new fragrances with a SMALL test (500g or less).

Latest posts

Back