Fragrance Calculator Gone Awry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just completed my 2nd batch of CP soap and both times I used Brambleberry's Fragrance calculator and both times the hallway outside of the room where I cure my soap is permeated with the EO scent. My first recipe I used peppermint EO at the recommended "medium" weight and my second recipe I used basil and orange EOs. My Basil EO I used slightly less than the "light" amount and wow! The scent isn't offensive to my family so no worries in that regard...but I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

I recently purchased some FOs (anxiously awaiting arrival) to try but now I'm gun shy!

Is this just part of the curing process?

What were the actual weights of EO added to the soap?

In my experience, yes - things will smell very strong to start with, but within a few days that will lessen. But it can differ on a case by case basis. As long as you stay under the IFRA amounts - you are fine.

You might just have a sensitive nose as well.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I generally use around 3% scent and the whole house smells quite strongly for a good 3-4 days. The room where I cure my soaps, can smell for a couple weeks, just depends on the scent.

I haven't used basil, but both peppermint and spearmint essential oils will leave a scent that really lingers for days and even weeks depending on how much soap you made.

We got an air purifier for my husband's allergies and it did wonders for clearing the "after soaping FO trails" for us (which weren't really a problem). Like Obsidian, my house would smell for up to a week, now it clears in 12-24 hours. If it ever becomes a problem, a small inexpensive air purifier on the other side of the house can do wonders

I haven't used basil, but both peppermint and spearmint essential oils will leave a scent that really lingers for days and even weeks depending on how much soap you made.

I used peppermint and cajeput EOs in a soap recently. They were super strong smelling for a few days. After they cured, the scent was almost gone. I will say that there's a bit of a zip e dee do surprise for certain body parts when using a soap w those EOs in it! Um. Exercise caution :eek: Live and learn.

I used peppermint and cajeput EOs in a soap recently. They were super strong smelling for a few days. After they cured, the scent was almost gone. I will say that there's a bit of a zip e dee do surprise for certain body parts when using a soap w those EOs in it! Um. Exercise caution :eek: Live and learn.

This really gave me a chuckle because it's spot on! :lol: I used a bit too much peppermint once in a shower gel. That one immediately went into the dispenser by the kitchen sink. :shock: Live and learn indeed!

I will say that there's a bit of a zip e dee do surprise for certain body parts when using a soap w those EOs in it! Um. Exercise caution :eek: Live and learn.

LOL :lol: You couldn't have said it better! Both my hubby and my son have dubbed my peppermint soap "The Evil Soap" for that very reason. Needless to say, they both refuse to shower with it anymore. Once was apparently more than enough for them. lol For what its worth, I did not set out to hurt them. I did (and do) use a conservative safe amount of it in my soap and I tested it out on myself first and was perfectly fine with showering all over with it. It was/is pleasantly tingly without being in the least bit painful to me all. That was probably my first profound lesson in the fact that everyone's skin is different in what it can/can't tolerate.

IrishLass :)

No worries. I've been making peppermint soaps for 3 years and never had an issue. However, any soap given out comes with a "look them in the eye and make them repeat the peppermint warning".

But I've never had peppermint fade into oblivion - I've got some 16 months old that still obviously peppermint. I do mix with eucalyptus eo, and sometimes spearmint.

I think I've posted this before, but I gave my MIL some peppermint soap, which was a little tingly but fine for me. She later told me that it burned her 'mucus-y' areas. Ewww. Not a conversation you want to have with your MIL, but at least, after 40 years, I guess she can tell me anything.

I've soaped with Basil EO a few times, and a little bit goes a loooooooong way! It overpowered my batch even using a small amount. As others have noted, some EOs just tend to linger a little longer than others.

For strong EOs like basil, peppermint, anise, eucalyptus, etc, you might try introducing them into your other fragrances with a dropper while stirring and sniffing the blend until you get the effect you want. Of course you will need to keep an eye on the scale to watch what you are adding.

my second recipe I used basil and orange EOs. My Basil EO I used slightly less than the "light" amount and wow! The scent isn't offensive to my family so no worries in that regard...but I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

I'm curious, did you calculate each fragrance separately, such that when combined, they totaled more than if you had used only one fragrance in the soap? A better (safer) approach is to figure out the combined max that you should use (generally 5-7%), split that into whatever proportions you want for each fragrance, and then make sure none of the individual contributions exceed their suggested usage.

That might not have been a problem for a simple 2-fragrance recipe like your basil-orange, but if you blend many more than that it could be.

Back