Fragrance Buddy's Coffee Bean FO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
I finally got around to using some in a batch of soap for my wife last weekend, and when I cut the log there was practically no scent at all. Is this one of those FO's that disappears for a while then comes back, or did I just not use enough? This was a 2.5lb batch of high lard CP soap, I used 35 grams of FO as I recall, simply because that amount of other FO's has worked out well with this recipe. I'm not at home right now, but can post the recipe tonight if needed. This is my standard go-to recipe, so no new factors other than the FO.
I did search the forum for info on this FO and didn't find much, sorry if I missed something.

1.2 ounces of FO to 2.5 pounds of soap? That is lower than what I use....

If your other FO's are things like lemongrass that are really strong, that concentration may work but for what I use, that's about half....what other ones did you use previously?

Well that is 3% by weight. Which is a common default.

But each fo is a beast unto itself, some are strong enough that 3% is enough, some need 5% and others you only need 1%.

Just because other fo's from this supplier are ok at one level does not mean another from them will be.

Does the supplier have reviews, or have you checked out the soap scent review board forum?

I have it. I'll check my tester tomorrow and report back. If I remember correctly, this is one of those FOs that just don't survive well.

Thanks, much appreciated.
I checked on them this morning and they now have a faint cappuccino-like smell, pretty good actually, if faint. You can see by the photo that it discolored somewhat, I didn't add any coloring to the batter, it was off-white at pour, and yellow-ish when cut. Some of the rounds are more uneven than this, and others almost solid brown, I guess I didn't get the FO thoroughly incorporated. As is evident, I did nothing to prevent or encourage gell. It will be interesting to watch them as they cure.

Last edited:
FWIW, the FO didn't survive. My tester continued to discolor into a dark brown despite having very little vanilla. It lathers relatively white but the water is brown. There is very little scent when wet. It is more of a chocolaty sweet vanilla than anything else. I tried to lather it down a bit to see if I can recover more scent but it stayed very faint. I also have BB Turkish Mocha and it is in the same boat including the discoloration. Both of my testers are about 1 year old now but there wasn't any point during the curing process when either one stood out as coffee.

If you are looking for a good coffee FO, AHRE's coffee house is a good one. My 15 month old bars made with really strong cold brew coffee and 0.5ozPPO of FO still have the coffee scent, I always take a sniff when I pass them, yummm!

I went back and checked to see what coffee fragrance I used that held. It is actually from Fragrance Buddy, "Capuchino Espresso).I used it at 1oz of fragrance per pound of oils and it holds very well (although I do HP...). Matter of fact, at six months it's still just as strong. It does turn a very dark brown.

I also use their Patchouli Passion and I can see how that one would be fine at the amounts you use-I had to reduce how much of it I used myself.

Most of the fragrances I use from Fragrance Buddy (and in general) are at 1oz per pound of oils. Lemongrass is a maaaajor exception , it requires a lot less.

My results have been very similar to Soapmaker's with the Fragrance Buddy scents (there's a giant thread here on them), so if both of you are finding it to be a fader I'd say its a fader!

Back