Fragrance Buddy FO test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried Fragrance Buddy's True Lavender?

I'm still on a hunt for a lavender FO.

I mentioned Lavender Sage earlier on this thread. My update is that I made another batch that did not overheat. The lavender element smells a little nicer. Everyone who smells the bars 6 weeks or longer likes the scent. Several people think it smells manly. They are probably picking up on the sage element. I still think that it smells nicer OOB.

I don't have FB's Lavender. I'm using TCS Lavender. It is a soft floral lavender that is strong in cp and is holding well. I also have NDA's Lavender. It has more green notes than TCS but is also good.

FWIW, I tried recreating the OOB Lavender Sage from FB in cp soap using a mix of FB's Sage and TCS Lavender. The FB Lavender Sage lost most of the lavender notes during cure but it was really lovely when first poured. I used a 1:1 and 1:2 mix. In both soaps, the sage is still dominating at 6 weeks and most of the lavender is lost. I'll try 1:3, 1:4, and 1:5 next. The sage tester by itself didn't seem that strong but the mix is definitely stronger and favors the sage.

Interesting! Sage must be some resilient stuff.

I will try the FB Lavender Sage and add the FB Lavender. Maybe I will start low, like 1:1 lavender sage to lavender. If that doesn't work, I will move up to 1:2.

I just hope that FB lavender is good. :)

I really enjoy the true lavender! I have used it in cp, bath bombs, and candles. It worked wonderfully in every application I tried it in. As for the cold process it did not accelerate or discolor my batter and the scent held strong.

I have Rose and Imogen Rose in my testers. Both are past 8 weeks and the scent is practically gone. The Rose is very faint and the Imogen Rose is unscented. This one is confusing because the main rose aroma molecule is resistant to high pH. I poured them at 5% and was afraid they would end up too strong. None of the rose Fo's I tried so far made it. Finding a nice rose FO is still on the to do list.

The Gypsy Rose from FB; Moonworks dupe sticks really well if you haven't tried it. I have bars over a year old that still have scent. It does accelerate trace, but is workable.

I have Rose and Imogen Rose in my testers. Both are past 8 weeks and the scent is practically gone. The Rose is very faint and the Imogen Rose is unscented. This one is confusing because the main rose aroma molecule is resistant to high pH. I poured them at 5% and was afraid they would end up too strong. None of the rose Fo's I tried so far made it. Finding a nice rose FO is still on the to do list.
I have Rose Garden from Voyageur Soap and candle that is over a year old and it still smells pretty good. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent US provider.

So now I'm past the two month mark, and went through and rechecked samples. Having a sweating issue due to lack of circulation and high humidity, but nothing has developed DOS (did have a lilac from aztec go dos'y though, suspect of that FO because two different batches did it). I cut all the bars in half and rebatched the cut offs and moved the halves inside...so I was able to check scent cut and uncut. Also adding in some HP notes since most of my batches are now HP.

Asian Sandalwood: Can't get past the yellow lather. Massive discoloring. Smells GREAT... holds well. Waiting for my HP to cure more to see if that helps with the lather issue.

Apple Mango-holds scent well, keeper. Mild mild yellow discolor, without a control you can't tell.

Banana-discolor evens to a medium tan. One of the softer bars that was sweating the worst-not sure if either is related to the scent but three different batches had the same result. Smells turns to the artifical end and some sniffers can't tell its banana (I have 4 month old batches with this one). Might end up mixing it with something...

Black Coconut-keeper for HP, maintains scent. Good luck CP, I'm not bothering again. No CP results due to overheating. Dark dark brown discolor but lather is fine. Used at .8 ppo as a compromise for scent strength in HP, seems to be a good ratio.

Winterfest: Ended up turning a light creamy yellow in the bars after two months, in CP still has a undertone of blech that it loses in HP. Testers 50/50 on if they like it...scent holds well. Seems to be personal preference.

Beach-still not impressed. Smells like erm, perfume but not overpowering. I wouldn't describe it as beach. With the accel issues and the generic scent I'm not bothering with it. One of the less sweaty bars, proabaly due to the heating.
No discolor.

Baby powder-I think it got stronger! Held well and no discolor. Still smells like baby powder.

Dirt-no discolor, still holding strong, smells better after two months. More earthy than ick came through.

Bamboo-faded a touch, yellowy discolor. Nice green smell still.

Dark Knight Bay Rum-mild tan discolor, holding scent well but losing some depth.

Frankincense and Myrrh-so light I'm not bothering. Brown tan discolor, soap softer than other batches (no sweating though). If you're looking for a light incese scent this would work.

Nag Champa-another incense that's so light it's not worth it...tan discolor.

Rose Jam-tan discolor, less rose more berry. I do like it, fruity without overly sweet. Held scent well. Top part ashed pretty thickly, I didn't cover..

Patchouli Passion-Yellow brown discolor, moreso at edges than in the middle (vanilla maybe?). Would probably end up using this in a swirl for CP because the discolor can't make up its mind. Did hold scent well.

Suede and Lace-perfumy scent, might be nice mixed with smoke or dirt or something to ground it. Pinkish brown discolor. Not a huge fan of the scent itself but it held and mellowed well. Bar was a touch soft.

Lust-Gorgeous pink red color. Don't use this over .5 ppo unless you are wearing a gas mask. Dirty Jasmine is what it cures to. Not recommended for CP'ing in the house it smells HORRIBLE until cure. Tolerable in HP just keep your face awayyyyy from the top when pulling off the lid....

Honeydew Melon-ended up with a yellow cream discolor but a nice sweet smell (not fruity, just melony). Didn't get a bigger bottle but its on the keeper list for me.

Sea Salt and Agave-reddish discolor, great oceany smell to me (no kelp LOL). Holds scent well.

White Tea and Ginger-smells like BB's version, no fading although its a light scent to start with. No discolor.

Lavender Sage-ended up a mild tan discolor, held scent but develops more sage than lavender (although the lavender is there). I like it.

Woodsmoke-light cream discolor after two months. Smells better and stronger, like smoky wood. Would be a good mixer.

Turquoise Sky-yelloish discolor, scent settled down into a clean oceany cologne smell. I'm on the fence with it, HP seems to make the scent settle in faster.

******* HP's only****** These are only a few weeks old

Sea Witch-HP'd only. I like it but it faded after three weeks HP cure, didn't change but got lighter. #2 on my oceany scent list.

Black Cedarwood/Juniper-HP'd only. Mostly cedar. Seems to be holding well. Manly scent if you like lumberjacks! No major discolor yet.

Sweet Orange Chili Pepper-ehhhhhh I'm on the fence. HP'd only. Scent still swapping between oranges and chili...scent not coming through the wax wrap at all versus most of the others that smell event hrough one layer. Yellow orange discolor.

Merlin's Forest-HP'd only...got stronger after two weeks! Smells like the incense, the powdery overtone is no where near as strong as other's I've tried. Keeper. Dragon's blood with something else...brown discolor.

Cappuccino Espresso-brown discolor, HP'd only , smells great!

Have not done monkey farts (lot less banana than others), plumeria, and some others I've missed. My sweating bars issue is keeping me on the HP end of things for a while...

I just did sea witch in a CP salt bar batch over xmas. I really like the scent so far. Probably one of my favorite oceany scents. I always like to "marinate" my sea salt with the fragrance oil before I use it in hopes that it will help the scent stick.

I have Burgandy Rose from NG which I read had good reviews on it. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but might be one to keep on your radar.

I just did sea witch in a CP salt bar batch over xmas. I really like the scent so far. Probably one of my favorite oceany scents. I always like to "marinate" my sea salt with the fragrance oil before I use it in hopes that it will help the scent stick.

I have Burgandy Rose from NG which I read had good reviews on it. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but might be one to keep on your radar.

Sea Witch sounds nice, I also marinate my fragrance in the salt first. I find it really helps the scent stick and it has made it easier with fast moving fo's.

Sea Witch sounds nice, I also marinate my fragrance in the salt first. I find it really helps the scent stick and it has made it easier with fast moving fo's.

I read there was some acceleration with Sea Witch but I really didn't notice it with my salt bars. I even tried to do a clyde slide kinda swirl into a 9 bar slab mold and got decent mica swirls on top. I haven't decided on calling it Mermaid's Treasure or King Triton's Gold. I didn't do very well on getting the dividers off as you can see, but it does show the two colors.

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_6504.jpg

Here is my next FB list. Up to #289 are already poured. I'll be writing reviews for the first 7 soon. I just poured #283 to #289. Some of these smell lovely and I haven't unmolded them yet. I really hope Celtic Mist survives cures. It smells heavenly right now. I have 2 or 3 more to add to the list but I'm almost done with my FB testers. I have to start blending to use up the many 1 oz bottles I have.

I also poured the 5 new FOs from TCS. Now for the Sweet Musk to survive cure and remain light!!! It smells great and no ugly yellow brown in sight.

276 Amber Blush
277 Dirt
278 Mango Pineapple
279 Apple Mango
280 Lord of Misrule
281 Black Pearl
282 Fresh Cut Green Grass
283 Calacas
284 Celtic Mist
285 Furze
286 Merlin's Forest
287 Uluru
288 Keep It Fluffy
289 Native Princess
290 Frozen
291 Fraisir Fir
292 Big
293 Yummy
294 B-Scent
295 Grapefruit Zest
296 SoCal
297 Avobath
298 Sweet Temptations
299 Dead Sexy
300 Sikkim Girls
301 The Bug
302 Princess Orchid
303 Sea Witch
304 Hyacinth
305 Cool Water
306 Little Black Dress
307 Lime Margarita
308 Sweet Pea
309 Enchanted
310 Salty Mariner
311 Teakwood Forest
312 Celebrate
313 Bird of Paradise
314 Butterfly Flower
315 Dirty
316 Patchouli Value
317 Gypsy Rose
318 Celestial Waters
319 Cranberry Woods
320 Citrus Splash
321 Angel's Delight
322 Georgia Peaches
323 Warm Welcome
324 Fir Needle Forest
325 Coffee Bean
326 Baby Powder

Last edited:
Lovely soaps Vmakkers. Beautiful colors and adorable little gold chests. Are they M&P or CP?
I think I have a bigger bottle of Sea Witch. I have to add it to the list. I also found Gypsy Rose. I added Burgundy Rose to the list of FOs to try. Please update after you try it.

Review of Dirt: Smells like..dirt.. LOL :)

Looking forward to this! I've swapped over to HP for a while so I won't have any CP reviews to add :(.

MP embeds. When I first started soaping, I really wanted to use all CP embeds but I realized it's just too time consuming. And I like how if I get the random urge to make a soap extra pretty, it only takes like 30 minutes to make a bunch of embeds.

The Sweet Musk is a beautiful soap scent, I didn't soap it, but received a bar from a friend. From Tennessee I will add these to the scent review post, Oatmeal Milk & Honey easy to work with, no A, but does discolor quite a bit, I am guessing the vanilla is at least 2%. The scent has quite a bit of almond, and although a nice FO I prefer the OMH from WSP. The Flowerbomb, oob smelled a little stronger than plain water, soaped there is some scent, but very light, and not anything I would want my soap to smell like. I almost called them to see if there was a problem with the batch. I ended up not calling because scent is so subjective, but this FO is not at all strong like the one review. I have never smelled the perfume, but this is not a keeper for me.

Vmakkers love your soap, the color is so pretty, my salt bars are always so washed out looking, I was thinking that Sea Witch would be the perfect scent for a salt bar, so that will be something I have to try.

From Tennessee ... The Flowerbomb, oob smelled a little stronger than plain water, soaped there is some scent, but very light, and not anything I would want my soap to smell like. I almost called them to see if there was a problem with the batch. I ended up not calling because scent is so subjective, but this FO is not at all strong like the one review. I have never smelled the perfume, but this is not a keeper for me.

I soaped TCS's Flowerbomb 5 weeks ago, used 0.9 oz ppo. The scent is VERY weak, mostly musky, relatively pleasant, discolors to a light beige.
I think I will still make a bigger batch, but I expect to be disappointed.

Thank you for confirming that I hadn't completely lost my sense of smell or was imagining that it was weak. I just smelled it today and I smell a soft floral as well. I am trying to figure out what I could blend it with to make something decent, but nothing comes to mind.

Latest posts

Back