Fragrance Buddy FO test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resniffed Spring Meadow with a cleared nose...yea, there's a hint of natural lemon in there (not floor cleaner). Wonder if it'll stay in CP....

-The white tea and ginger is better than the BB version which faded completely on me. It isn't very strong but is holding. I bought a bigger bottle.

-I also bought a bigger bottle of Jungle. My tester is not done curing yet but it is a good dupe. I used to use the Lush shampoo and conditioner. I'm planning to make a shampoo bar with it.

-I also bought the Chili. I have a second tester with it mixed with Orange Blossom. Not done curing yet. My first Chili tester lost the orange as it cured. It was much more balanced when I first poured it.

-The black cedarwood tester is still very faint. Driftwood came back nicely. It is now a nicely blended incence/woods and dirt. I bought a bigger bottle.

I also ordered 1oz of Merlin's forest, Sea Witch, and SoCal.

I just bought a bunch from there and got them. Every single one smells. Amazing oob! Will update when I test them.

Soapmaker145 that is strange about the black cedarwood, I used 1 oz per pound of oils, and at first it was way too strong, it mellowed, but at 8 weeks it is medium strong.

I love the White Tea and Ginger, and the Mango Pineapple has turned out to hold extremely well. After 8 weeks the scent is more Pineapple than Mango.

I agree. The more reviews, the more accurate our description of the FO and how it behaves in CP.

I don't feel like this thread is restricted to few people or that anybody is stepping on my toes. I would love it if more people posted. Maybe at the end of our experiments we will have a set of well behaving fragrances to recommend to people just starting soaping. If enough people play, we can even have a poll.

I'm confused :-? Forgive my ignorance...
I am reading all of your lovely reviews, and am trying to figure out what chart you are talking about, what the #'s are correlating to ( I see the pics with the #'s on the sample) as far as a master list, and then I see the word "restricted" in your post. Is this list that you are working on in a restricted post? I'm not sure how you are going about sampling; I'm assuming a master batch of oils then separating for sample scents---what are your sample molds? But mainly, I'm wondering: How do I participate?

Becky,

Here is a link to the review chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1M/edit?authkey=CMTEtswL&pli=1#gid=40&vpid=A1

Each supplier has his own sheet. I use it a lot when picking FOs. I'll be transferring the reviews to the appropriate sheet and hopefully update them at 6 and 12 months. I'm looking for fragrances that survive for a long time.

The process I use is in post #12. The molds are yogurt cups (Oikos or Chobani). I love the Oikos cups. I think they make a perfect soap shape that lasts a long time. If you have any questions, just ask. I've been increasing the canola in my basic mix (using less rice bran). I started out at 5% and it is now at 18%. It makes the soaps whiter. This mix doesn't accelerate. It stays fluid for a long time. Even when it gets thick, I can easily mix the fragrance in the yogurt cup. The numbers are the reference numbers I assign the fragrance to recognize it after pouring. I started at 1. I'm trying to edit the pictures with the name of the fragrance before posting pictures but that takes time.

There is nothing restricted in this thread. I meant everybody is welcome to contribute. To participate, just share your experience with any of the fragrances listed and add new ones you are trying. You are getting my notes about these fragrances as I write them for me. You see me change my mind as the soaps cure. If you try other suppliers, start a new thread for them.

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews. Welcome to this fun addiction.

LoL, Thanks for the detailed response, and the link, I will definitely check it out and see what I can contribute. I do remember now you mentioning yogurt cups, I think my brain was getting so muddled trying to keep up with the thread that by the time I wrote my reply I just felt like a dunce and decided I had to ask :)

I got some good giggles out of your lively descriptions!

Soapmaker145 that is strange about the black cedarwood, I used 1 oz per pound of oils, and at first it was way too strong, it mellowed, but at 8 weeks it is medium strong.

I love the White Tea and Ginger, and the Mango Pineapple has turned out to hold extremely well. After 8 weeks the scent is more Pineapple than Mango.

I rechecked the black cedarwood and it is still very faint. I used most of the tester hoping that it comes back but it didn't. Either I don't have the right receptors for it or something happened to my tester. Also, the uneven mauvish discoloration is not limited to the surface. The faint scent I detect makes me want to mix a woodsy scent with coniferous greens and a hint of citrus.

In HP the Black Cedarwood is holding strong...I don't smell the juniper per se but it is a tad greener than straight cedar at this point.

I can say if you do HP that everything I've used so far holds well....

Asian Sandalwood is still making a yellow colored lather in my CP confetti bar (for gifts), but in HP testing it seems tamer. I have a bunch of Christmas gifts that have to have warning tags *sigh* LOL.

I rechecked the Asian Sandalwood. The lather is getting yellower and yellower as the bar is used up. The water turned a dark orangy yellow in the white bowl. So strange and really disappointing since it was pure white lather and clear water when first used. The oxygen on the surface is affecting the way the scent cures. This one is for HP only at this point.

ETA: I'm also finding the soap drying which wasn't the case when first used. My skin is reacting to something in the FO.

Last edited:
Here is another installment in the FB test. I don't have any notes on 251-261 yet. Of the ones in this list, I only bought Jungle for old times' sake. I could easily pass on all of them. The usage rate for all of them was 5% of the batter weight.

262-Champagne Pear: MUR=20%, FP>200oF, Vanilla=0.15%. No discoloration. Heavy ash. This one is similar to BB Champagne with additional fruity notes. It isn’t bad but I probably wouldn’t use it on its own.

263-So White: MUR=7%, FP=185oF, No vanilla. No discoloration. Heavy ash. It lost a lot of the complexity it had when first poured. Floral mostly rose with apple/fruity undertones but mostly subtle. It does work as an AppleRose scent. Medium strong and holding.

264-Bergamot Tobacco:
MUR=5%, FP>200 oF, No vanilla. No discoloration and no ash. Fragrance took longer to develop and I don't think it is done yet. I’m not sure what to make of it. Medium strong scent. Will revisit later.

265-Jungle: MUR=10%, FP>200 oF, No vanilla. This is a good dupe of the original Lush. Strong and holding. Stayed fairly true since it was first poured. No discoloration and no ash.

266-Sex Bomb:
MUR=16%, FP>200oF, No vanilla. No Discoloration. Very heavy ash. Cheap perfumy type, a bit floral with Jasmine/honeysuckle scent. It reminds me of scented commercial detergent/soap. Yuck.

267-Sir Dorian: MUR=3%. I used at 5%. FP>200 oF, no vanilla. This one is out because of usage rate. It is a spicy herbal green scent, with a hint of floral and woods. Some days it smells lovely. Others it is meh.

268-Arabie:
MU 5%, FP 180oF, no vanilla. No ash. So far, this is a very subtle FO. Hard to describe. A bit spicy, a bit woodsy and a bit fruity. Scent was faint but came back towards the end of the cure. Medium strong and holding. Will revisit in few weeks.

269-Northern Lights: MUR=4%, FP>200oF, Vanilla=0.25%. No discoloration. Green scent with a base of musk and a hint of citrus and coniferous greens. The overall effect is light floral. Medium strong at 5% usage rate and holding. Very heavy ash.

270-Autumn Nights: MUR=5%, FP= 175oF, No vanilla. Light tan discoloration. No ash. A balanced mix of apples with hint of spice and woods. This needed a full cure to smell nice. It is appropriate for fall. will revisit in a few more weeks.

The Black Cedarwood & Juniper took a long time to change in the cured soap, at first it was way too strong soaped at 1 ounce per pound. After 6 weeks mine had a medium strong scent. It is all gone, every single last bar. Still FB but slightly off topic, the other big surprise was Lord of Misrule, it is all gone too, and I am not crazy about it. Patchouli seems to be more popular than I remember.

I have Lord of Misrule in a tester but I haven't checked on it recently. I think Black Cedarwood is definitely out for cp.

Doriette, I don't think I have Alkmar but I have to check more carefully before ruling it out. If I do, it isn't in a tester at this time.

Ahh I love sex bomb from them and I hate cheap perfume. Smells! Minimal ash for me on soap

It is strange how the ash can vary, I haven't soaped sex bomb for awhile, but I didn't have any ash on that one at all. It was super easy to work with, it seems to be a love or hate type of FO. I had some people love it and others were what is that?

I think it would be difficult to come up with FOs that are generally well liked by everybody. I have few sniffers helping me pick the scents that they want for their own soaps. No two people are alike. They disagree even on the strength of the scents. It's like smelling roses and trying to agree which one has a scent and which one doesn't.

I use numbers instead of FO names for evaluation. Some of the descriptions I got for these fragrances were incomprehensible.

I checked on Lord of Misrule. It discolored a light chocolate milk, heavy ash. The scent is medium strong and deep well-balanced patchouli/sandalwood with more notes. It was poured on Nov 11. Much stronger than Black Cedarwood ever was.

Soapmaker145 I have to laugh, the one craft fair that I did this Holiday season the people were smelling the bars like they were at a wine tasting. They were even trying to smell the little stacks of end cuts! I kept thinking you guys it's soap.

Strange the Lord of Misrule didn't ash at all, maybe recipe or climate difference. I gave my sister some bars for her friend who really liked the design, and warned her that they smelled like vanilla dirt. I was completely surprised that they were so popular. Nobody even noticed the design, just the smell.

Back