Fragrance Buddy- anything I just *have* to get?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got 33 little 1 oz bottles and one big ol' 4 ozer of Citrus Tree. My better half is probably going to think I'm nuts..... thankfully I'm not the only crazy one since she's got enough skeins of yarn to start a small shop lol.

Um, yarn was my first major obsession. I still have an attic full. So yeah, I got you covered. You will love Citrus Tree if you like neroli. And if I remember correctly, it behaves. Make your sweetie some perfume to go with her soap. 😁

I guess the 25% off sale is going to send me back to the FB website. I made a list based on above posts and now I have a lot of reading to do. Choosing scents is sooooo hard! It’s all the more challenging because I don’t live anywhere near a place that sells perfume, never heard of Lush until I joined this forum and haven’t been in a B&BW in a decade 😂

ETA: 29 scents later… i went for some of the crowd favorites and added a whole lot of sample sizes of new scent types to try.

Last edited:
I LOVE FB... It is one of my top 3 suppliers.
They are in the process of updating the IFRA statements for the all their fragrances. I sent them an email this week about 6 of my favorite fragrances to see if the IFRA was changing.

I recommend Pink Chiffon, Pepperberry Wreath (IFRA is going up on this one, but I've worked with 4% ppo for years without an issue), Candy Crush is the BEST peppermint fragrance I've tried and ZERO discoloration, blonde moment (cherry kool aide type fragrance), weather vane (LOVE it or Hate it) and ancient incense for the a musky man fragrance.

I have some that I currently love, but the new IFRA is going to have them drop below 3% for MUR for soap: Honey Pear Cider is freaking amazing and I can't believe I am going to lose it, Almond Macaroon, blueberry muffin, and gypsy rose.

This company is amazing.. Fragrances stick really good in cp. Not every fragrance is a winner, but what you do like, you will totally love! Prices are really good, especially at 25% off. Shipping is always quick and fair if you order less than $100. I've never had a problem with customer service.

Last edited:
Arrrgh! I can't bear it any more! I just got done sniffing my February haul and I think my nose is going to fall off my face.

And, I'm resigned to boxed wine for the remainder of the month📦🍷 as I just blew through my soaping budget. Thank goodness it's a short month. :rolleyes:

I'll have to wait for FB's next sale. I'll be sniffing vicariously through yall!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 8.08.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 8.08.14 PM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
I ordered Saturday and got my order today - Thursday. Plus, Monday was a holiday. FB always does a great job with shipping!

OOB - Bombshell is BLAH, but I've learned with this company not to judge OOB. Put it in the product and WAIT the 30 day cure period. Some of their fragrances need time to fully develope.

OOB - Black amethyst is very nice. I'm excited to test this one and see what happens.

My FB order arrived today. 29 quick sniffs later, I think I’m going to like everything I ordered.
Girl.. More details please. Which ones did you get? I only ordered 2 new fragrances. The rest of my order was re-orders of fragrances that I've tested before.

I will try to post a more complete list this weekend. Here are a few that I’m happy with oob: Ocean Mist, Lavender & Sage MW, Grapefruit Zest, Inspirational, Weather Vane, Juniper Twist. The one that I’m not sure about oob so far is Ginger Peach. I still need to carefully checked the ifra tables and the reviews for the behaviors of the FOs.

Wow.

Bob's Flower Shop is AMAZING.

Dirt and Fresh Cut Grass are dead on. Can't wait to use them.

Others I like particularly OOB:

Gypsy Rose
Magnolia Rose
Citrus Splash
Bergamot Tobacco
Apple Blossom
White Tea And Ginger
The Original
Celestial Sea
Dragons Blood
Happiness

Dragons Blood is something I've never smelled it before. Love it, now I'm thinking maybe I'm missing out haha. Gonna try others. Happiness is also particularly nice.

So glad you like them. Bob's Flower Shop is one of the very few fragrances I bought in an 8 oz bottle (hobby soaper---a bazillion 1 ounce bottles, maybe 4 8-oz bottles). What did you think of Citrus Tree? Most Dragon's Blood FOs discolor--it can work for you, if you are ready for it.

So glad you like them. Bob's Flower Shop is one of the very few fragrances I bought in an 8 oz bottle (hobby soaper---a bazillion 1 ounce bottles, maybe 4 8-oz bottles). What did you think of Citrus Tree? Most Dragon's Blood FOs discolor--it can work for you, if you are ready for it.

I'm ok with discoloration, I don't do a ton of design work. Based on first impressions I think I'll enjoy Citrus Tree better in soap after a cure. Out of the bottle it smells a bit strong for me. I don't want to judge it quite yet, but I already like it more than NG's neroli. :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... not another fragrance place I have to check out! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I literally had to create a spreadsheet yesterday of all of the fo's I have now. It's at the point I'm having to double check my shopping cart to make sure I don't already have it.

This is such a disease.

I finally did a spread sheet when I noticed I had two or three one ounce bottles of a couple different fragrances (looking at you, Fragrance Buddy). That being said, I LOVE my spreadsheet. I have a separate page for each vendor, and then columns for the fragrance, if it's a dupe of everything, how much I have, CP soap IFRA, performance notes, and a couple other columns. It took me a while to set the spreadsheet up, but I use it all the time when I'm planning what soap to do.

I finally did a spread sheet when I noticed I had two or three one ounce bottles of a couple different fragrances (looking at you, Fragrance Buddy). That being said, I LOVE my spreadsheet. I have a separate page for each vendor, and then columns for the fragrance, if it's a dupe of everything, how much I have, CP soap IFRA, performance notes, and a couple other columns. It took me a while to set the spreadsheet up, but I use it all the time when I'm planning what soap to do.
I do that too! I’m not always diligent about keeping it up. I include % vanillin if provided. I have everything on one sheet including vendor, but I can sort it or filter it by vendor. I also include the vendor’s description. Sometimes. Like I said I’m not that diligent.

Reporting in on Bob’s Flower Shop - With only 2% in my test batch, the scent is strong. I experienced a tiny bit of ricing, but it was my own fault because I poured the FO into the various cups of batter and then managed to let some of them sit for a minute or two without stirring. I would characterize the acceleration as light to moderate under my working conditions (900 g oils, lard and tallow recipe, starting temp 90 F, 40% lye concentration, started with batter at emulsion, but also had a false trace kind of situation before adding the fo and for unknown reasons) and the batch did heat up a bit. The scent has a good dose of rose, which I like. Fresh cut bars in the rough:

A3CC7CB0-CB5A-46D6-A8DF-2D11961EA969.jpeg

ETA: This is for the relative newbies who may feel that picking FOs is a bit overwhelming. I still feel that way, but one of the things I’ve finally come to realize after 3+ years of soaping is just how useful photos of soap made with a particular FO can be for forecasting behavior. Reviewers may not mention acceleration in their reviews, but if all of the posted soap photos for a particular FO are of layered soaps or simple pours vs. complex swirls, it’s a good clue to the FO behavior. That’s one reason why I like to post photos of the soaps I make when I’m testing FOs. The photo helps to tell the story. By the time I used the hanger tool in this batch, the lower half was getting thick and had started to heat up. The resultant swirls are not as fine and wispy as they would be if the batter was thinner. On the other hand, I was able to pour and swirl ribbons of batter on the top and then had to wait a little bit to add the spoon texture. I had a clue from the review on the FB website that the FO causes acceleration and had a spoon plop plan B for this batch, but in the end I was able to do a bit of a swirl. It helped that I didn’t add the FO until I had all of the colors mixed and using the FO at only 2% of fat weight may also have made a difference.

Last edited:
just how useful photos of soap made with a particular FO can be for forecasting behavior. Reviewers may not mention acceleration in their reviews, but if all of the posted soap photos for a particular FO are of layered soaps or simple pours vs. complex swirls, it’s a good clue to the FO behavior.
Agreed. I dabbled with a series of florals yesterday, known accelerators. The recipe and temperatures were all the same, and I attempted the same exact swirl for each batch, the only variables were the mica colors (but all micas) and the FOs. Amazing how differently they came out due to varying acceleration. The one in the back was like working with spoon bread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 1.22.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 1.22.27 PM.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back