Fragrance and CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiastray

Reaction score
Question: Is it recommended that I use the normal amount of fragrance when making CPOP, or can I reduce the fragrance amount, as in HP, since I'm using the oven for a bit? Thanks for any help/suggestions. :)

Rhonda

This is a toughie to answer, as it really depends on the fragrance, and your preference. For example, for my Green Irish Tweed fragrance oil that I cp'd, only .5oz per pound was enough, but for the raspberry that I cp'd, I needed a full ounce of fragrance oil per pound of oils. Do you plan on using a fragrance oil? Or essential oils?

I plan on using fragrance oils, at least for now. I know that fragrance oils vary in strength, but was just wondering if I could reduce the amount somewhat for CPOP, compared to regular CP soapmaking. :?:

You would need the same amount as the chemical reaction would be the same, you are just using the oven to force gel instead of letting it gel on its own.

I learned the hard way - make a trial 1 lb batch of every single FO or EO before I make a whole batch. If it works - Great! If not, well chop it up and use it for soap flecks. Saves heartache.

I used to do that ever single time, until last week - I flubbed 3-6lb batches!

Back to the 1lb trials for me.

Yepp, I screwed up a 4.5 pound batch this weekend because I was stupid and bought FO's from an untested source because of their good price. I will NEVER buy FO's from them again .. cheaper isn't always better.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I really appreciate it. Think I'll do small test batches first until I know how each fragrance oil holds up.

You will also want to pay attention to the flashpoint of the FO you use. An FO with a low flash point will burn off in the oven more quickly than an FO with a 180-200 degree flash point.

Thanks, Tahara...I never even thought about that! :shock: Going to check all the flash points on my fragrance oils right now.

Latest posts

Back