Fragrance amount?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynewbie

Reaction score
It’s been an exciting and interesting journey for me guys with learning the basics of cold process soap and I’d like to thank all of you that have provided me with advice, feedback and guidance thus far. Dibbles, Serene, KiwiMoose, Jersey Girl, Lenarenee, LSG just to name a few of you. THANK YOU!

So, I made a batch on Thursday evening using the recipe I created on Soap Calc and along with the feedback I’ve received from you guys and let me tell you; it is by far the BEST batch I’ve made over the past few months. The bars did go thru gel phase a bit which is perfectly fine with me, but they came out extremely smooth with no glycerin rivers or silicone rash and a minimum amount of soda ash that I will steam off later. And I was able to cut the bars within 24 hours. YAY FOR ME! 🥳

So my next question is fragrance. I know to always check the IRFA guidelines to determine safe usage percentages but is there like a starting point that most of you use? I also know that each fragrance will anchor differently as well but just wondering. I’ve read that you should keep the percentage between 4-6 or 1 oz per pound of OILS and not per pound of batch. I went the latter on this batch using the Champagne Toast frgrance from Nature’s Fragrance at 3 oz’s. The soap smelled beautifully fragrant for about the first three days and now it seems like the scent is slowly fading off. ☹️

Feedback?

Your soaps look great! I generally use 1 oz ppo if the IFRA allows. The best advice I can give you regarding fragrances “sticking” is to read reviews from other Soapers before purchasing. If there aren’t many or any reviews on a FO I generally do not purchase it. Many FO scents fade in cold process soap. There is a great thread on this forum that lists FOs from various companies that have good sticking power. let me find it and I’ll link it here.
Another thought is that some people have had fragrances fade initially and return after the cure. I personally haven’t had that experience. After reading the reviews of this fragrance oil I’m noticing that most people who have had good luck with a strong scent retention are those have been using this fragrance in body products like lotions and wax. There aren’t too many cold process soap reviews. The company that sells it says it has great scent retention in their testing notes, but…hey…they are the seller. Lol. I like to make sure there are a lot of positive reviews on scent retention from actual customers.

Its a long thread, but the last couple pages are the most updated list.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/help-need-a-fragrance-suggestions-for-cp-soap.75683/
You could also try Hot Process as the scent is added at the end of cook when the lye has already reacted. Its the Lye that can “eat” some fragrances during saponification

Last edited:
You could also try Hot Process as the scent is added at the end of cook when the lye has already reacted. Its the Lye that can “eat” some fragrances during saponification
Not sure if I’m ready for Hot Process soap making just yet lol. But thanks for the tip. :)

I typically test a new fragrance at 3% PPO & take notes. A couple have been STRONG at that %, some perfect & a few too light. The FO threads were a must read for me.
Thanks for the tip Lynette!

Your soaps look great! I generally use 1 oz ppo if the IFRA allows. The best advice I can give you regarding fragrances “sticking” is to read reviews from other Soapers before purchasing. If there aren’t many or any reviews on a FO I generally do not purchase it. Many FO scents fade in cold process soap. There is a great thread on this forum that lists FOs from various companies that have good sticking power. let me find it and I’ll link it here.
Another thought is that some people have had fragrances fade initially and return after the cure. I personally haven’t had that experience. After reading the reviews of this fragrance oil I’m noticing that most people who have had good luck with a strong scent retention are those have been using this fragrance in body products like lotions and wax. There aren’t too many cold process soap reviews. The company that sells it says it has great scent retention in their testing notes, but…hey…they are the seller. Lol. I like to make sure there are a lot of positive reviews on scent retention from actual customers.

Its a long thread, but the last couple pages are the most updated list.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/help-need-a-fragrance-suggestions-for-cp-soap.75683/
Thank you! Will read over this now.

It’s been an exciting and interesting journey for me guys with learning the basics of cold process soap and I’d like to thank all of you that have provided me with advice, feedback and guidance thus far. Dibbles, Serene, KiwiMoose, Jersey Girl, Lenarenee, LSG just to name a few of you. THANK YOU!

So, I made a batch on Thursday evening using the recipe I created on Soap Calc and along with the feedback I’ve received from you guys and let me tell you; it is by far the BEST batch I’ve made over the past few months. The bars did go thru gel phase a bit which is perfectly fine with me, but they came out extremely smooth with no glycerin rivers or silicone rash and a minimum amount of soda ash that I will steam off later. And I was able to cut the bars within 24 hours. YAY FOR ME! 🥳

So my next question is fragrance. I know to always check the IRFA guidelines to determine safe usage percentages but is there like a starting point that most of you use? I also know that each fragrance will anchor differently as well but just wondering. I’ve read that you should keep the percentage between 4-6 or 1 oz per pound of OILS and not per pound of batch. I went the latter on this batch using the Champagne Toast frgrance from Nature’s Fragrance at 3 oz’s. The soap smelled beautifully fragrant for about the first three days and now it seems like the scent is slowly fading off. ☹️

Feedback?
View attachment 68047
I cannot see anything on your link. That type of file is not readily visible to all members of SMF, so responses may be limited when you use a link not all can view.

In any case I am glad you are happy with the result.

I am not familiar with that particular scent, but some scents do tend to fade and come back later. Some others 'hide' until the soap is in use. I hope your experience with this scent meets at least one of those two options. Were their reviews on the site that indicated this would happen?

Latest posts

Back