Fractionated coconut oil problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chibichibi

Reaction score
I started making soaps not too long ago, and accidentally ordered fractionated coconut oil instead of the regular coconut oil. After i realized my mistake I use This calculator, and I've done everything right. Edit: I make mine Hot Process.

However, 5 minutes after my soap has come to trace the surface is still trace, but the rest has liquified. I stir it back up enough, and then all of a sudden it's nearly solid on me and impossible to mix my color into.

Can anyone tell me why?

Hi Chibichibi - I haven't soaped frac. CO so am unsure if this is your culprit or not. Hopefully someone who knows either this oil or HP will happen along soon and help you out.....meanwhile I will keep you company :wink:

A couple of questions - are you sure you had reached trace? Perhaps frac CO takes longer and you had a false trace happen? But then that wouldn't account for the sudden seize. Did you use an FO you haven't used before? Perhaps you can rebatch this one and then add the colour you wanted during that process.

Tanya :)

topcat said:
Hi Chibichibi - I haven't soaped frac. CO so am unsure if this is your culprit or not. Hopefully someone who knows either this oil or HP will happen along soon and help you out.....meanwhile I will keep you company :wink:

A couple of questions - are you sure you had reached trace? Perhaps frac CO takes longer and you had a false trace happen? But then that wouldn't account for the sudden seize. Did you use an FO you haven't used before? Perhaps you can rebatch this one and then add the colour you wanted during that process.

Tanya :)
I am definitely sure I had reached trace. That lovely pudding/custard consistency that i got when i was using Palm Kernel as my largest base amount. I couldn't even use the immersion blender it was so thick. I did use some Apricot kernel oil as a super-fatting agent, but this happened even before I started that too...

And I've used the same type of FO as usual...

Nothing i can think of can account for the problem. I had almost given up hope when i stumbled on this forum.

Sorry, I don't do HP very often so am no expert. I don't think the FCO would cause this.

Suppliers do change their formulations without telling anyone - especially in their rush to eliminate the phthalates. In CP, if it's a different bottle, even with the same name, than you used with successful batches I'd say that was the case. But in HP you add the fragrance after the cook so I dunno.

Try dissolving a couple teaspoons of sugar (or is it salt - someone help me here!) to your water before adding the lye. Or you can use some sodium lactate as well. Either of these will help keep the soap more liquidy until you get it in the mold.

Well, I searched on another forum, turns out that the fractionated coconut oil speeds up the hardening of Cold Process soap... So when using it in Hot process it speeds up hardening way too much and I should only use tiny amounts from here on out.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help, One of these days (when college isn't killing me) I'll get some of my stuff up here, including to mold my dad made for me ^^

that's not my experience (and since it has no stearic it doesn't make sense to me), but who knows. glad you have it figured out.

Latest posts

Back