Fractionated Coconut Oil in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saipan

Reaction score
So, I find myself having a bottle of Fractionated Coconut Oil...

It's clear, it's liquid. Can it replace regular coconut oil in CP? Or HP?

Possibly super fat with it?

So, I find myself having a bottle of Fractionated Coconut Oil...
It's clear, it's liquid. Can it replace regular coconut oil in CP? Or HP?
Possibly super fat with it?

No, FCO and regular CO are different, and they have different SAPs, different qualities, etc.,
FCO is really better suited for leave on products like body sprays, lotions, and roll on perfumes.

I had a gallon of Fx CO sitting around for a long time and decided to soap with it to make space in my soaping area. It works fine in soap, so if you don't plan to use it for B&B products, then go ahead and use it in soap. However, now I need to buy some more for some B&B products I am making for my granddaughter. I had not anticipated this 6 months ago, but it is what it is.

Just remember that it has a different fatty acid profile and different SAP value than the other CO's, so make sure to use your lye calculator.

I used Costco's MCT Oil (Medium Chain Tryglycerides) aka "FCO - Fractionated Coconut Oil" to make 100% Coconut Oil LS for laundry. It was a HUGE disappointment -- flat (little lather), little cleansing, and irritated my skin when used to wash my hands. I was shocked to see it was added to the SoapCalc list of oils. That's what actually made me try to soap it.

FCO - Fractionated Coconut Oil has a history of being wonderful in leave-on products. It has a long shelf life, resists rancidity, and is one of my favorite ingredients in lotion for the silky feel it imparts to the product. It is expensive compared to regular coconut oil 76°F and is not normally recommended for CP.

To compare the two oils on SoapCalc, enter coconut oil 76°F at 100%. Then press "Calculate" It shows up in the right column on the left menu. Then choose coconut oil, fractionated. It shows up in the left column on the left menu for easy comparison.

FCO vs Coconut 76.png

I honestly don't know why it reads as if the FCO is hard, cleansing and bubbly under the
"Soap Qualities" scale. The "Fatty Acids" result in no way verifies that. I'm flummoxed.
:smallshrug:

Last edited:
"FCO - Fractionated Coconut Oil"

I honestly don't know why it reads as if the FCO is hard, cleansing and bubbly under the
"Soap Qualities" scale. The "Fatty Acids" result in no way verifies that. I'm flummoxed.
:smallshrug:

I know, right? I have never tried to make a single oil bar soap using only FxCO, but wonder if it really would get hard. But if it is true that a higher Iodine number means softer soap, wouldn't the reverse be true for harder soap?

Maybe one day, I will test out that theory with my next purchase of MCT oil (Fractionated CO).

The first time I ordered Fractionated Coconut Oil, the bottle I received was labeled MCT oil, which really confused me, especially a few months later when I had forgotten that it was Fx CO (per the vendor website.) I had to do the research again so I could label it accordingly for the next time using it.

I also wonder about MCT oil made from Palm vs Coconuts, but coconuts come from palm trees, so I am not really sure that 'derived from palm' versus 'derived from coconut oil' means any different result. It's still Medium Chain Triglycerides - caprylic acid and capric acid in the end result.

See this article: What Is Fractionated Coconut Oil Good For?

Latest posts

Back