Quantcast

Fractionated Coconut Oil in CP

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Saipan

Reaction score
So, I find myself having a bottle of Fractionated Coconut Oil...

It's clear, it's liquid. Can it replace regular coconut oil in CP? Or HP?

Possibly super fat with it?

jcandleattic

Reaction score
So, I find myself having a bottle of Fractionated Coconut Oil...
It's clear, it's liquid. Can it replace regular coconut oil in CP? Or HP?
Possibly super fat with it?
No, FCO and regular CO are different, and they have different SAPs, different qualities, etc.,
FCO is really better suited for leave on products like body sprays, lotions, and roll on perfumes.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
We don't typically soap with fractionated CO, because the other kinds are cheaper. You can certainly try it and find out! I love it as a leave on product. I put it in my thin lotion (lotion that I want to squeeze from a bottle). I also infuse it with calendula and put it on my dogs.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Also FCO has a higher % of shorter chain fatty acids that are harsher on the skin when made into soap. It's better to use FCO in cooking or directly on skin & hair.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I also love it in whipped butter. I get my shea butter soft and melty (but not all melted, it needs to be able to hold it's shape a bit), whip it with my hand mixer, then drizzle in some vitamin E and the Fractionated Coconut until I like the texture.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had a gallon of Fx CO sitting around for a long time and decided to soap with it to make space in my soaping area. It works fine in soap, so if you don't plan to use it for B&B products, then go ahead and use it in soap. However, now I need to buy some more for some B&B products I am making for my granddaughter. I had not anticipated this 6 months ago, but it is what it is.

Just remember that it has a different fatty acid profile and different SAP value than the other CO's, so make sure to use your lye calculator.