fractionated coconut oil botanical infusions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experience using these? Brambleberry sells chamomile extract in a somewhat similar oil and suggests starting with a 5% usage in cp soap....seems a little low in concentration but most of us add castor in that range to a recipe so what do I know? Thought I'd put the question out to the mavens on this forum....and no, I know this isn't going to be an additive and that I'm going to have to put in my numbers for the oil in soap calc...

I would not think this would be good in CP soap. Fractionated CO does have an entry on soapcalc - and some of it will react with lye - so I would think you would need to put it in so that it does not throw off your lye amounts. Also FCO has been discussed on the board before - and most of the chemistry experts have said this is just not a good soaping oil.

Now, I am sure you are far more interested in the chamomile part of the oil. My concern would be that it would not survive the lye reaction. So if I really wanted to use this, it would be as a super fat in HP, or as part of a lotion.

FCO contains the short-chain fatty acids. When saponified, these fatty acids can be irritating to the skin. If you use FCO for soaping, use it with a light hand.

A chamomile infusion is better used and going to be more effective in a leave-on product, not soap.

thanks all....I guess this is my pathway to branching out....you're all enablers, you know! LOL

Back