Fractionally Distilled Aloe Vera Juice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaLeavesandTweed

Reaction score
Hey, all. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using fractionally distilled aloe vera juice in their soaps? I bought this by mistake when I was getting ingredients for a hair rinse and I've never opened it because the consensus I got around the internet is that most of the good aloe stuff is gone after the distillation process. One person even pH tested it and said it was exactly neutral. Anyone tried it?

Hey, all. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using fractionally distilled aloe vera juice in their soaps? I bought this by mistake when I was getting ingredients for a hair rinse and I've never opened it because the consensus I got around the internet is that most of the good aloe stuff is gone after the distillation process. One person even pH tested it and said it was exactly neutral. Anyone tried it?
It will work the same as any aloe juice in soap. Lye has a tendency to eat of good qualities of anything that goes into the soap bucket, but a few of us have discovered that soap seems to lather better when aloe juice is included.
I mix some batches of 50/50 lye with aloe juice, but not all my masterbatched lye since people can be allergic to aloe

I buy fractionally distilled aloe all the time (George's brand). If my anecdotal experience with it is anything to go by, not everything is destroyed (unless I happen to be experiencing a placebo effect). I used to use it in my soap way back when I first started soaping, but didn't notice that it made any appreciable difference, so I quit using it soap-wise and only drink it instead (I mix my green drink with it).

IrishLass :)

Not_ally- I just didn't notice any appreciable difference in my soap to justify the expense of using it for that.

Hahaha- I just realized only now how unclear my post was (I can be such a dolt sometimes, lol). I should have specified that the positive difference I've experienced with the fractionated aloe had to do with health issues.

Thanks, IrishLass! That's the exact brand that I have, so it's nice to know someone has used it and not had any adverse effects. I'm planning a facial bar next with some mango butter I have in the cabinet and I figure if there was ever a time to use aloe, that would be it. I just don't want to wreck a batch in the name of using something up I bought by mistake!

Back