found out my soap works great for washing dishes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaolin washer

Reaction score
I have some simple and good hand soap I made , and it works great for that , leavs my hands clean and silky feeling , I decided to use it on my greasy dishes, and to my supersize it works better than Palmolive . I just take my scrubber and rub it on the bar of soap and then do the dishesthey rinse clear and clean no spots so scum. My soap recipe uses 45% Olive oil, 30% coconut oil, 15% shea butter, 1% Vee gum T Hectorite clay , 5% Opticast kaolin, and 4% potash feldspar I mix the Veegum powder,Kaolin,and feldspar into the olive oil and wisk it and screen it back and forth 3 time thru a 100 mesh screen then add all oils and the lyeand into the mold and cover with blankets very good basic soap , and dish soap to considering how expensive dish soap is now , plus my soap washes off alot better and still gets the dish nice and clean

I’m curious about your recipe! I hope you don’t mind some questions. Do you think the performance of the soap is linked to the additives? I’m wondering if you think the clays are acting as absorbents and the feldspar as a very mild abrasive or polishing agent. Would any kaolin work in your recipe or is there something special about the kind you are using? Where do you get the veegum and potash feldspar?

Also, I noticed that the oils in your recipe add up to 90%. I assume that you are calculating the lye based on the weight of the oils (=100% of fats), excluding the wt of the clays and feldspar. Or, possibly did you leave out one of the fats above?

Last edited:
Mobjack thats what I am thinking, the V gum T is colodial in size, actally a magnesium aluminum silicate , Bentonite but very clean, and it expands i think 16 times in volume when it gets whet, but the cool thing is because iI mixed it in the oils it does not get active untill the water hits it so it does suck up things and it suspends things very well and a little goes a long way . I used to make pottery and to make a clay plastic you only need 2% and it transforms the clay to a very throwable clay , some other tendancys of bentonite are its ability to hold water and dry slow , so in terms of holding fragrance oils or essential oils thats good , the kaolin is from England and is very white and clean,and is a mild abrasive to along with the feldspar. the feldspar i use comes from India and is very white and clean just a pottasium aluminum silicate a componant of granite rocks I get the clay from clay supply stores for potters and its alot less expensive, the Vee gum T is expensive but a little goes a long way in soap . I now have fun washing dishes

Thank you. That helps me understand the recipe better. I edited my first post a little to ask about the percentages. also, what superfat level are you using? I have hard water and would love to have a product that works better at cleaning oily dishes.

I used a super fat of 5% and 1.8 Water to 1 lye and dont use well water go get some distilled water , that bad water can cause all kinds of trouble in soap

No , thats what i thought, I even went from the middle of the sap values of all oils and discounted 5% but in every trial i do on greasy pans with oil in them from frying it just eats it away leaves them nice and clean , forget dawn this is way better, and it does not take much

I’m curious about your recipe! I hope you don’t mind some questions. Do you think the performance of the soap is linked to the additives? I’m wondering if you think the clays are acting as absorbents and the feldspar as a very mild abrasive or polishing agent. Would any kaolin work in your recipe or is there something special about the kind you are using? Where do you get the veegum and potash feldspar?

Also, I noticed that the oils in your recipe add up to 90%. I assume that you are calculating the lye based on the weight of the oils (=100% of fats), excluding the wt of the clays and feldspar. Or, possibly did you leave out one of the fats above?
ya i go by 640 grams of oils and clay additives then calculate the water and lye I need i use a two pound mold cold processes I mix the lye in when oils are about 120f and cover with insulation and let it cure

O,K hear is the full recipe of my soap that can clean dishes 292.5 Olive oil, 195 coconut oil, 97.5 shea butter, 6.5 g Vee gum T, 32.5 Opticast kaolin, 26 g feldspar powdered 200 mesh, 83.80g lye, 146.5 water distilled, it is set up for a 5% discount I mix the Vee gum , and kaolinand feldspar into the olive oil and screen back and forth 3 times then bring all oils up to 120f and add 100f lye water ,mix with a blender and then into mold and cover and cover with towels. I take the bar and rub it on a wet scouring pad and for this nasty pan it took three shots but it got very clean

Attachments

• 20221020_074253.jpg
    20221020_074253.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_074429.jpg
    20221020_074429.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_074546.jpg
    20221020_074546.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_074653.jpg
    20221020_074653.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221020_074942.jpg
    20221020_074942.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 0
I used a super fat of 5% and 1.8 Water to 1 lye and dont use well water go get some distilled water , that bad water can cause all kinds of trouble in soap
I don’t believe @Mobjack Bay uses hard water to make her soap; she was simply stating that the water coming out of her faucets is hard, like yours. As a scientist, I’m sure she’s quite careful to use distilled water to make all her products.

Latest posts

Back