Found a good commercial soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Even though I have a ton of soap in storage, I still can't stop myself from buying interesting soap if I come across it.
I found this detergent free soap at the dollar store today. I expected it to be heavy on coconut oil, lather really well and be drying. Complete surprise to discover it to have rich creamy lather thats not drying at all.

Its reminds me a lot of handmade soap. If you are like me and like to purchase soap once in awhile just because, I recommend this one.

436043_lrg.jpg

j6r4uc.jpg

That's interesting! I've never seen that at my $1 store.. I'll have to look and see if I can find it. I'm not sure why, but I always look at the soaps in the dollar store?

That looks interesting, O. I wonder why they list the "acids" separately, I would otherwise assume they were apart of the fatty acids in the individual oils which do not have to be listed seperately, I thought.

I think you can get OK soaps at the 99c store sometimes, I like the Yardley ones much better than more expensive ones at other places, although of course home-made soap is best. Looking at the Yardley ingredient lists surprised me, I don't remember what was in them, but in memory they were much more like real soap than syndets. I know they end up there b/c they are not selling at other places, but I am not sure why not.

That looks interesting, O. I wonder why they list the "acids" separately, I would otherwise assume they were apart of the fatty acids in the individual oils which do not have to be listed seperately, I thought.

I think you can get OK soaps at the 99c store sometimes, I like the Yardley ones much better than more expensive ones at other places, although of course home-made soap is best. Looking at the Yardley ingredient lists surprised me, I don't remember what was in them, but in memory they were much more like real soap than syndets. I know they end up there b/c they are not selling at other places, but I am not sure why not.

Ally - I've used that Yardley for decades and when I couldn't find it anywhere I was bummed because it was one of the few commercial soaps I could use. Then I ran across it in the dollar store and did a happy dance. I think it ends up there because it's still a product the company makes money from but it's no longer widespread viable in the marketplace.

Either way I'm just glad I can still find it. Although now that I'm making my own soap I will likely just keep a few bars around for emergencies or people who don't want to use a handmade soap. (Whoever those crazy people are LOL)

what strikes me is that it would appear we can all make some sort of broad based label with asterisks saying a particular soap may contain these ingredients...made and distributed in the US so I presume that have the legal mumbo jumbo all figured out...
Another curious note: ingredients in English and the front of the label could actually pass for one coming from a Spanish speaking country...complete with not the best or awkward English translations...

I always liked yardley and will probably buy a bar of the lavender next time it comes through the dollar store just because. I buy pears occasionally too. I once found a huge bar labeled MILK soap, it smelled amazing, the same company also sells a milk lotion that I loved.

Cheap bath products and makeup are my downfall at a dollar store. Oh, and candy..

I saw this one a few weeks ago and thought to myself that they mustve superfated the soap if they list the additional fatty acids. Almost compelled me to buy it. Now I think I'm going to have to. The ingredients are also not too shabby and almost read like ingredients you would find from a handmade soaper. Of course, a handmade soaper would not list the end products like they did here. We typically list what we start with (fats, water, sodium hydroxide, ect. )

They appear to be using the EU/Canadian method of listing ingredients. Basically they're telling you what comes "out of the pot" rather than what goes in. That's why glycerin is listed.

That was my first thought too Galaxy, FFA from SF. It's a 2 fat soap, most likely Tallow and CO/ PKO if it's lathering without drying like obsidian described. A beautiful result from a simple recipe I would say.
Even though I routinely look at the ingredients on any pre packaged food items I buy,I actually never read the ingredients on a soap until just before starting to make my own. But I do have my favorites from India, after coming to US it has been mostly that one soap which I didn't like very much so switched out as soon as I found a new favorite, a sandal soap from India. I do remember loving the feel and scent of yardley lavender, I might try that again if it's a vegan soap. One more scent I remember from childhood is a body talc called Cuticura, I think it's a lavender scent, it was my absolute favorite then. I don't see it in the market anymore.

That was my first thought too Galaxy, FFA from SF. It's a 2 fat soap, most likely Tallow and CO/ PKO if it's lathering without drying like obsidian described. A beautiful result from a simple recipe I would say.
Even though I routinely look at the ingredients on any pre packaged food items I buy,I actually never read the ingredients on a soap until just before starting to make my own. But I do have my favorites from India, after coming to US it has been mostly that one soap which I didn't like very much so switched out as soon as I found a new favorite, a sandal soap from India. I do remember loving the feel and scent of yardley lavender, I might try that again if it's a vegan soap. One more scent I remember from childhood is a body talc called Cuticura, I think it's a lavender scent, it was my absolute favorite then. I don't see it in the market anymore.

Looks like yardley isnt vegan. Sorry V.

"Sodium Tallowate , Sodium Cocoate , WaterAqua , FragranceParfum , Coconut Acid , Petrolatum , Glycerin , Sodium Chloride , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Pentasodium Pentetate , Tetrasodium EDTA , Iron OxidesCI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 , Titanium DioxideCI 77891"

Thanks Galaxy for looking that up for me. I don't think it disappoints me much though, as I now know how to create a naturally white soap with lavender EO. But as in the other lavender thread I would love to know which EO has the best lavender scent. BA apparently sells a lot of them, also several varieties of other popular EOs, would be nice if they actually have a store front where I could go and sniff before deciding which ones I like best. That would still be 3-4 hours drive for me, but I'm willing to do that, may be club with some site seeing.

Look.what I ran across in my soapy searching

uploadfromtaptalk1440818429228.jpg

Yardley & Co., Ltd.’s Yardley’s Old English Lavender Soap – Yardley’s Old English Lavender Soap (1925)

Back