FOs - Scent Memory Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone catch me up on how any of the following behave in cold process soap as far as discoloration and/or acceleration? I haven’t made soap since September and I’m hoping to use some or all of these soon, but also trying to avoid having to make test soaps first since I only have sample sizes.

Leaves of Green
Gothic Rose
Ol Mossy Walls (this may work as my replacement for an Aveda Sap Moss dup that‘s been discontinued. It’s not the same, but it’s reminiscent enough for me.)
Terra
Hellooo Sailor

thanks!
I've soaped with Terra--it was a ciaglia soap--10 oz of shreds in 14 oz of oils. No discoloration, and although it thickened quickly, I attribute a lot of that to the high percentage of shreds.

Only made tarts with Ol' Mossy Walls (which was lovely), but Oregon Trails has what they call a Sapmoss dupe. Sapmoss Fragrance Oil

I've never smelled the Aveda Sapmoss, but I first discovered OT's Sapmoss 15 years ago when I was first doing M&P, and when I got back to soaping, I remembered how much I liked it and got more. I don't think Mossy Walls smells anything like the OT dupe, but that could just be me.

OT has a few fragrances I remembered from 15 years ago--their Mysore Sandalwood is the best sandalwood I have ever found, and I also love their Mardi Gras. Bonsai is also good, and well behaved, but it's very strong and can easily overpower things.

Thanks @dibbles @Milk Machine @Carly B for the insights. It sounds like I can get away without testing Hellooo Sailor, Ol Mossy Walls and Terra.

@Carly B I have used OT Sapmoss, and liked it, but not nearly as much as the one MMS offered and then discontinued. To my nose, it needs a little something. I agree about OT’s Mysore Sandalwood and Bonsai, but have not tried Mardi Gras. Bonsai is especially well behaved and it’s on my list of FOs that decelerate. I use it at 3% and it’s plenty strong.

This the soap I made with the remainder of my test bottle of Rose and Peppered Plum. It’s brown, but not nearly as dark as Seven Veils, which is almost black in my test soap (like the color of the wood these soaps are sitting on). I added a little rose hip oil and some powdered rose petals for label appeal. I’m not sure the shape is the best choice, but I only had enough FO for a small batch. I think the soap smells fantastic.

View attachment 69304
Love it

So I ordered the latest Scent Memory Sampler. There were a couple I was interested in, and figured I could get the sampler which would save me from ordering something later that I hadn't smelled. They're all pretty much all OK, but nothing really knocked my socks off. I truly think I was spoiled by
the very first order I made. Either that or I've gone nose blind with allergies this fall.

Today, it's rainy and icy, and after is showered, I doused myself in Whispers in the Library. I've mentioned it before, but I fall in love with it again every time I use it. It is so warm and cozy and comforting. I've made wax tarts, soap, moisturizing spray (using a premade base) and perfume. It turns soap dark brown, but that's OK. I can work with that. The fragrance makes me want to curl up in a blanket with my Kindle and get lost in a good book. The name fits it. :)

Posting this one for posterity. Palo Santo Woods behaves extremely well and does not discolor. “A cleansing and earthy blend of palo santo, orange, cedar, clove, sage, cypress’

4634B985-57F3-4AC6-8BB7-2510C33280D5.jpeg

Gorgeous @Mobjack Bay. What do you think of the fragrance?
Thank you! The design was inspired by a soap you made for one of the SMF challenges! This scent is one I will use again and would keep in a lineup if I was selling. It’s deep and rich the way patchouli is, but not patchouli, with the spice and wood coming through and a bit of a lift from the citrus. I’m doing my fundraiser for the women’s shelter right now and the person who was immediately drawn to this soap selected other soaps that were scented with EOs.

Posting this one for posterity. Palo Santo Woods behaves extremely well and does not discolor. “A cleansing and earthy blend of palo santo, orange, cedar, clove, sage, cypress’

View attachment 70087
Thanks. I got a small bottle of that when she had her sale of all the 1 oz bottles. So I'm hoping to make a pound of soap after the holidays.

Has anybody tried Endless Summer from SM? I like the description but there aren't aany reviews yet. I have noticed that SM is starting to add soaping notes to some which is helpful. Any feedback on Endless Summer will be much appreciated!

Has anybody tried Endless Summer from SM? I like the description but there aren't aany reviews yet. I have noticed that SM is starting to add soaping notes to some which is helpful. Any feedback on Endless Summer will be much appreciated!
Sorry I haven’t yet tried that one but they have a Facebook page under the name scent memory and you could ask there.

Don't know that fragrance, but Kristen said she adds soap notes now if people put them in their reviews. So I've tried to comment on that if I review a fragrance. I wish she would do what Nurture does--it appears that Nurture tests their fragrances themselves, and she has soaping notes for all of them, as well as pictures of how they discolor.

Don't know that fragrance, but Kristen said she adds soap notes now if people put them in their reviews. So I've tried to comment on that if I review a fragrance. I wish she would do what Nurture does--it appears that Nurture tests their fragrances themselves, and she has soaping notes for all of them, as well as pictures of how they discolor.
I would love to be her soaper! 😃💜

Has anyone tried Cedarwood & Aged Rum? I wonder if it discolors and how the scent retention is. Thanks!

I have a 1 ounce bottle of that, but I haven't tried it yet. Sorry.
However, I have recently soaped with eight SM fragrances. I love the big Farmhouse soap bars (Crafter), and I determined her sample 10ml bottles would go perfectly with 6 oz of oil, which ends up being 1 farmhouse bar and one ~3oz bar.

So over the last few days, I made a 2lb batch of Mojave Ghost (I had a 2 oz bottle) and 8 different farmhouse bars with the fragrances below. I am happy to say, NONE of the fragrances accelerated for me. Too early to tell about discoloration.

Samples tried:
  • Bubble Bath
  • Perfume Shop 1968
  • Velvet Sandalwood
  • Dragonfruit Punch
  • Private Island
  • Spiced Cardamom
  • Oh Johnny
  • Black Pearl

Back