FOs - Scent Memory Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think of Japanese woods & Franc ensens? Also, how similar or different are sugared rose petals & rose Peppered plum? Thanks!
I actually think franc is beautiful, soaped nicely but could be used a bit stronger than 5%. It’s fairly light. Japanese woods is just meh to me. I just made it so hopefully it will do something more spectacular after cure. Just a tad disappointed with that one.
Rose Peppered Plum is so additive and delicious I want to make it in everything. I made lotion bars and solid perfumes and they sell well. It’s fabulous but when I soaped with it, it’s very light smelling and again needs higher percentage than 5% which is my go to unless IRFA tells me different. Just made sugared rose petals and out of bottle is so yummy and good! No acceleration for a floral! I’m going to cut it today actually but it turned my white yellow. 🤣 Oh well, it’s fine. I’ll let you know how the cut and scent is but again it seems light.
The thing is… if the majority of their scents need higher percentages to make them smell “right?” Then they are going to cost more, you know?

I actually think franc is beautiful, soaped nicely but could be used a bit stronger than 5%. It’s fairly light. Japanese woods is just meh to me. I just made it so hopefully it will do something more spectacular after cure. Just a tad disappointed with that one.
Rose Peppered Plum is so additive and delicious I want to make it in everything. I made lotion bars and solid perfumes and they sell well. It’s fabulous but when I soaped with it, it’s very light smelling and again needs higher percentage than 5% which is my go to unless IRFA tells me different. Just made sugared rose petals and out of bottle is so yummy and good! No acceleration for a floral! I’m going to cut it today actually but it turned my white yellow. 🤣 Oh well, it’s fine. I’ll let you know how the cut and scent is but again it seems light.
The thing is… if the majority of their scents need higher percentages to make them smell “right?” Then they are going to cost more, you know?

Attachments

• 39275C94-AF3B-4713-A210-CB8BAF53C9FD.jpeg
    39275C94-AF3B-4713-A210-CB8BAF53C9FD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
For those that have tried Whispers in the Library, how does it soap? I made some wax tarts which are just gorgeous, and I got some more for perfume and soap. I'm assuming it will discolor some, but what about acceleration?

For those that have tried Whispers in the Library, how does it soap? I made some wax tarts which are just gorgeous, and I got some more for perfume and soap. I'm assuming it will discolor some, but what about acceleration?
It’s perfect, no acceleration. It’s again a little light for me. I used 5% fragrance and I feel like it’s really light smelling. But, I have to say that might be my favorite scent right now. I made body butters with it and I can’t stop smelling it! So GOOD!

Attachments

• 9986D899-3C35-4DE9-A19A-E4891223ECFF.jpeg
    9986D899-3C35-4DE9-A19A-E4891223ECFF.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 0
It’s perfect, no acceleration. It’s again a little light for me. I used 5% fragrance and I feel like it’s really light smelling. But, I have to say that might be my favorite scent right now. I made body butters with it and I can’t stop smelling it! So GOOD!
Lovely soap. :) Thanks for the info. Does it go really dark? I have a tart burning with it now. My living room smells wonderful. A nice cozy fragrance for an autumn night. I made a roll-on perfume with it, but since it doesn't accelerate, maybe time to do my first batch of Christmas gifts.

I have to say, there are four that are similar to my nose---Whispers, Biblioteque, Angels' Share, and Jazz Club. Not identical, but there is pepper and vanilla in a couple, so there are similarities. I love all of them OOB, I haven't used Angels' Share or Biblio yet. But tarts with Jazz Club are drop dead gorgeous. I need to make soap with that too. :nodding:

Lovely soap. :) Thanks for the info. Does it go really dark? I have a tart burning with it now. My living room smells wonderful. A nice cozy fragrance for an autumn night. I made a roll-on perfume with it, but since it doesn't accelerate, maybe time to do my first batch of Christmas gifts.

I have to say, there are four that are similar to my nose---Whispers, Biblioteque, Angels' Share, and Jazz Club. Not identical, but there is pepper and vanilla in a couple, so there are similarities. I love all of them OOB, I haven't used Angels' Share or Biblio yet. But tarts with Jazz Club are drop dead gorgeous. I need to make soap with that too. :nodding:
Ok thank you! I’m going to put jazz club in my cart. Whispers does not discolor but rose peppered plum does a lot!

Whispers moved a little fast, but I was only planning an ITP swirl anyway, so that was fine, and it was one of my nicer swirls. And it smells gorgeous. However, it discolored to a dark brown. :( I was expecting some discoloration, but it's almost as dark as the dark brown Vanilla Oat Milk. I hate using a ton of TD, so I fear I will just become the "Brown Soap Lady." I love Scent Memory's fragrances so much, but almost all the ones I have either discolored or are known to discolor. Phooey. I don't sell, but we give away soaps to family, co-workers, and neighbors for Christmas. *sigh*

Wax tarts with the fragrances are gorgeous, tho.........

Whispers moved a little fast, but I was only planning an ITP swirl anyway, so that was fine, and it was one of my nicer swirls. And it smells gorgeous. However, it discolored to a dark brown. :( I was expecting some discoloration, but it's almost as dark as the dark brown Vanilla Oat Milk. I hate using a ton of TD, so I fear I will just become the "Brown Soap Lady." I love Scent Memory's fragrances so much, but almost all the ones I have either discolored or are known to discolor. Phooey. I don't sell, but we give away soaps to family, co-workers, and neighbors for Christmas. *sigh*

I used my lard formula so I didn’t have any acceleration. I guess I should have said that I used the fragrance mainly in black and red and put a touch in my white and it discolored slightly.

I guess I should add that my soap formula was tallow based and o didn’t experience acceleration but I did portion off my colors and only used a smidge in my white. Here’s after the cut.

Attachments

• 1FC4E970-15BB-45DD-97A6-B53D4902D2C8.jpeg
    1FC4E970-15BB-45DD-97A6-B53D4902D2C8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I used my lard formula so I didn’t have any acceleration. I guess I should have said that I used the fragrance mainly in black and red and put a touch in my white and it discolored slightly.

I guess I should add that my soap formula was tallow based and o didn’t experience acceleration but I did portion off my colors and only used a smidge in my white. Here’s after the cut.
My recipe was 50% lard, and it wasn't really an issue, it's just usually I'm waiting around for thing to thicken a little, and this was ready for the ITP right away. I probably should portion off my colors, especially white, but I never think to do that. Thanks for the reminder. :) I actually planned the colors for it to discolor some, but it went a lot darker than I expected. Oh well.

Sorry,
My recipe was 50% lard, and it wasn't really an issue, it's just usually I'm waiting around for thing to thicken a little, and this was ready for the ITP right away. I probably should portion off my colors, especially white, but I never think to do that. Thanks for the reminder. :) I actually planned the colors for it to discolor some, but it went a lot darker than I expected. Oh well.
I used Rose Pepper Plum and it went black pretty much! I used dark purple and grey and it all turned black😂

This the soap I made with the remainder of my test bottle of Rose and Peppered Plum. It’s brown, but not nearly as dark as Seven Veils, which is almost black in my test soap (like the color of the wood these soaps are sitting on). I added a little rose hip oil and some powdered rose petals for label appeal. I’m not sure the shape is the best choice, but I only had enough FO for a small batch. I think the soap smells fantastic.

2BB2D988-211B-44A4-AF14-F79CC1C3C6D0.jpeg

Can anyone catch me up on how any of the following behave in cold process soap as far as discoloration and/or acceleration? I haven’t made soap since September and I’m hoping to use some or all of these soon, but also trying to avoid having to make test soaps first since I only have sample sizes.

Leaves of Green
Gothic Rose
Ol Mossy Walls (this may work as my replacement for an Aveda Sap Moss dup that‘s been discontinued. It’s not the same, but it’s reminiscent enough for me.)
Terra
Hellooo Sailor

thanks!

@Mobjack Bay Leaves of Green and Hellooo Sailor are the only ones I've used from your list. Leaves of Green was perfectly behaved and didn't discolor. Hellooo Sailor discolored to a light-medium tan. I don't remember having problems with it accelerating. I have only done very small test batches, so YMMV with a larger batch.

Can anyone catch me up on how any of the following behave in cold process soap as far as discoloration and/or acceleration? I haven’t made soap since September and I’m hoping to use some or all of these soon, but also trying to avoid having to make test soaps first since I only have sample sizes.

Leaves of Green
Gothic Rose
Ol Mossy Walls (this may work as my replacement for an Aveda Sap Moss dup that‘s been discontinued. It’s not the same, but it’s reminiscent enough for me.)
Terra
Hellooo Sailor

thanks!
I have made using Ol Mossy Walls, Helloooo Sailor and Terra but I mixed Terra with Geranium & Incense. Hellooo did discolor slightly to light tan but I used indigo and dead sea clay with uncolored kaolin clay and it looks really good to me. I really like that one. For Terra I used Alkanet and Madder to get a nice purple and it gave me what I wanted. I can't tell too much if it darkens but it was a nice purple and not dark brown. For Ol Mossy I used goat's milk so I always have a tan in my uncolored portions and it seemed about normal for that. I swirled it with charcoal and that combo fits the scent really well.

Latest posts

Back