FOs - Scent Memory Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Scent Memory Fragrance is definitely worth a look for unique FOs based on popular OTC perfumes and other fragrances. You won't find the same-name FOs that other sellers offer. I love the look of their site too! The prices seem in line with other sites. Check out their "Sample Bundles" to by several scents at once.

If you try them, post your findings here. Please & thank you! :D

Kudos to @lsg for finding what looks to be an excellent source for specialty FOs. :thumbs:

I just got some samples! I got Your Skin But Better, Wrapped in Vetiver, Burning Roses, Golden Hour, Good Morning, their Palo Santo blend and their pine resin blend. I haven’t used them yet, but I love them all OOB, especially Golden Hour and Good Morning.
Wrapped in Vetiver -- that's what came up when I searched "White Shoulders", an old timey favorite fragrance. Hmm.

Scent Memory Fragrance is definitely worth a look for unique FOs based on popular OTC perfumes and other fragrances. You won't find the same-name FOs that other sellers offer. I love the look of their site too! The prices seem in line with other sites. Check out their "Sample Bundles" to by several scents at once.

If you try them, post your findings here. Please & thank you! :D

Kudos to @lsg for finding what looks to be an excellent source for specialty FOs. :thumbs:
Oh goodness that site was WAY too fun to shop! I just loved all the beautiful art used for each fragrance!!! Now I have another account and a cart full. 😆

I highly suggest reading the descriptions on each of those fragrances. If they aren't labeled "type", it says in the description "our interpretaton of" on nearly ALL of them. I don't use anything that's a copy of existing scents from big companies.

Last edited:
Wrapped in Vetiver -- that's what came up when I searched "White Shoulders", an old timey favorite fragrance. Hmm.
Smells really good! It’s less “boyfriend-y” than I thought it would be but it’s such a nice scent.

I highly suggest reading the descriptions on each of those fragrances. If they aren't labeled "type", it says in the description "our interpretaton of" on nearly ALL of them. I don't use anything that's a copy of existing scents from big companies.
Yes they do a lot of “types,” and are def upfront about it. I typically use plain one notes for blends but these are bought out of curiosity and for my own personal home care products. They have really nice scents, types or not.

Oh goodness that site was WAY too fun to shop! I just loved all the beautiful art used for each fragrance!!! Now I have another account and a cart full. 😆
The art is so cool!

I highly suggest reading the descriptions on each of those fragrances. If they aren't labeled "type", it says in the description "our interpretaton of" on nearly ALL of them.
Here's a bit from the "ABOUT US" section to explain why that is.

Hi! I'm Kristen, the worker bee behind Scent Memory Fragrance Oils. This journey started with a facebook group, the Fine Fragrance Duplication Society, dedicated to crowd-sourcing and duplicating niche and fancy fragrances for makers of candles, soaps and body products. Our group of makers with exquisite taste in fancy-pants fragrances is making it possible to bring these great fragrances to candle and soap crafters across the United States!

I have been a scent memory member from the beginning. Many of her fragrances are her own formulation and some are dupes. The fos are easy to formulate your own unique fragrance. I made one with Ernesto, absinthe (not scent memory), stiff drink and wild poppy.
Even the dupes are merely inspired by truly. I highly recommend the quality and the complexity of the fragrances.

I highly recommend the quality and the complexity of the fragrances.
Good to know!
Thanks.gif

Well, I couldn’t resist. I just placed an order for sample sizes of Paolo Santa Wood, Terra, Seven Veils, Rose and Peppered Plum, and Neroli Portofino.
My Scent Memory FOs arrived. I purposely tried to order very different scents based on the way the scents are classified on the website. My OOB impressions:

Terra - Really different. It made me think of the rainforest of the PNW. I like it, but my partner does not. From the Scent Memory site “A highly naturalistic fragrance composed of cedarwood, geranium, oak moss, orange and grapefruit.” Safe usage is up to 10.8% in soap based on the IFRA 50th Amendment dated June 2021. The one soap maker review noted - “Super strong. Slight acceleration (but still workable with even intricate designs, just be aware). I'm noticing a bit of discoloration (light purple).”

Neroli Portofino - Smells like the soap I use in the hotels I stay in when I get the conference rate. My partner gave it two thumbs up. From the Scent Memory site “Conjures cool breezes, sparkling water, and lush foliage through crisp citrus oils, floral notes, and amber undertones.” Safe usage is up to 8.28% in soap. The same soaper who wrote the review above shared “it just soaped beautifully!! No immediate discoloration (good sign as it's my experience that with floral discoloration, I know quickly).”

Palo Santo Woods - my first impression is a little chocolate, some wood and earthiness, which I like. I might be getting a little hint of the clove folding into what I’m calling chocolate. I have no idea what Palo Santo smells like on its own. From the site: “A cleansing and earthy blend of palo santo, orange, cedar, clove, sage, cypress.” Safe usage is up to 10.65% in soap. There are no reviews from soap makers.

Rose and Peppered Plum - Nice. My partner gives it two thumbs up. I don’t know what all the reviewers mean by “dark” for scent descriptions. I would call it a full or rich floral leaning scent that is heavily influenced by the patchouli and vanilla. From SM “both dark and sweet at the same time. Notes of Dark rose, plum, peppercorn, patchouli, vanilla.” Safe usage is up to 13% in soap. There are no reviews that mention how it behaves in soap.

Seven Veils - I have no idea how to describe this. It smells a bit exotic in a good way. I don’t detect anything resembling carrot, which is in there as a top note, but I do think I can pick up a little sandalwood, vanilla and floral. According to the website, the carrot adds an earthiness. I like it. From SM, the notes are “Carrot, Pimento Berries, Glycine, Laurier Rose, Tahitian Vanilla Flower, Tiger Orchid, Sandalwood, Vanilla Bean” Safe usage is up to 13% in soap. There are no reviews on performance in soap.

My Scent Memory FOs arrived. I purposely tried to order very different scents based on the way the scents are classified on the website. My OOB impressions:

Terra - Really different. It made me think of the rainforest of the PNW. I like it, but my partner does not. From the Scent Memory site “A highly naturalistic fragrance composed of cedarwood, geranium, oak moss, orange and grapefruit.” Safe usage is up to 10.8% in soap based on the IFRA 50th Amendment dated June 2021. The one soap maker review noted - “Super strong. Slight acceleration (but still workable with even intricate designs, just be aware). I'm noticing a bit of discoloration (light purple).”

Neroli Portofino - Smells like the soap I use in the hotels I stay in when I get the conference rate. My partner gave it two thumbs up. From the Scent Memory site “Conjures cool breezes, sparkling water, and lush foliage through crisp citrus oils, floral notes, and amber undertones.” Safe usage is up to 8.28% in soap. The same soaper who wrote the review above shared “it just soaped beautifully!! No immediate discoloration (good sign as it's my experience that with floral discoloration, I know quickly).”

Palo Santo Woods - my first impression is a little chocolate, some wood and earthiness, which I like. I might be getting a little hint of the clove folding into what I’m calling chocolate. I have no idea what Palo Santo smells like on its own. From the site: “A cleansing and earthy blend of palo santo, orange, cedar, clove, sage, cypress.” Safe usage is up to 10.65% in soap. There are no reviews from soap makers.

Rose and Peppered Plum - Nice. My partner gives it two thumbs up. I don’t know what all the reviewers mean by “dark” for scent descriptions. I would call it a full or rich floral leaning scent that is heavily influenced by the patchouli and vanilla. From SM “both dark and sweet at the same time. Notes of Dark rose, plum, peppercorn, patchouli, vanilla.” Safe usage is up to 13% in soap. There are no reviews that mention how it behaves in soap.

Seven Veils - I have no idea how to describe this. It smells a bit exotic in a good way. I don’t detect anything resembling carrot, which is in there as a top note, but I do think I can pick up a little sandalwood, vanilla and floral. According to the website, the carrot adds an earthiness. I like it. From SM, the notes are “Carrot, Pimento Berries, Glycine, Laurier Rose, Tahitian Vanilla Flower, Tiger Orchid, Sandalwood, Vanilla Bean” Safe usage is up to 13% in soap. There are no reviews on performance in soap.
I personally love your choices. Seven veils discolors significantly but is beautiful in soap.
Palo santo woods and portofino are also high on my list.

Thank you for this! I have nine one ounce bottles that arrived today - I’ll post some feedback on them tomorrow. OOB I like them all. I’ll also post my husband’s hilarious first impressions. (Such as… “This smells like an old attic.”)

My order came today too! I've had an all day date with a grandson, so I've just had time for a quick sniff. I have a date with the other two tomorrow, but later in the day, so I'll try to give impressions tomorrow. I can say they are all nice. One that really stood out to me is Helloooo Sailor. I got it for my hubby, but I really like it too. It's not the typical men's cologne type of scent or overly cedar/woody. I can't wait to make him some soap with this one.

Back