FO's Behaving Badly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garland68

Reaction score
I wake up this morning intending on making a great batch with my new recipe and new oils that I ordered and everything was going great! Until I added the "Under the Star's" FO. I noticed that when I added it to my batch it seemed to turn a light greenish color. After I was done stirring it in I went to grab my mold 5 feet away and BAM! total seize! I attemped to loosen it up by adding the purple color mix that I was going to swirl in but ended up mixing it all together. I managed to loosen it up enough to get it into my mold.

After I go done smashing it in the mold I went to clean up and I had to throw out my soap pot. It got even harder in the minutes that I left it sit.

It said but this is my 10th batch and it had to happen sometime!

My question is what is next? Will it be soap or just a total mess?

garland68 said:
Will it be soap or just a total mess?
Only time will tell.

I'm sorry about your misfortune. You might give a second attempt at cleaning that pot. By tomorrow it will just be soap and I would think you could give it a long soak, possibly boil some water in the pot and then just let it sit for a few hours. Rinse, repeat, like the shampoo says.

One of my fav FO's (Beautiful Dup. from SOS) Siezes like CRAZY! It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened... I just packed it in the mold, insulated it really well, and the next day, SOAP! It had a few minor gaps and bubbles in it, but after cutting and stuff, it was fine. :D

Lane said:
One of my fav FO's (Beautiful Dup. from SOS) Siezes like CRAZY! It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened... I just packed it in the mold, insulated it really well, and the next day, SOAP! It had a few minor gaps and bubbles in it, but after cutting and stuff, it was fine. :D

Well that is good to hear. It just surprized me with how quick it seizes! I also got really really hot when it seized.

Thanks!

garland68 said:
I also got really really hot when it seized.
Exothermic baby!!! I too was surprised at how hot my soaps get and that's even without seizing. I return to my mold in the cool of the night and find the temperature is 110°-120°! I like the science involved in soapmaking. :)

No need to throw the soap pot out. Just scrape as much of the material out as you can and fill the pot with hot water for a little while - it's soap after all - self cleaning :)

Scotsoap said:
No need to throw the soap pot out. Just scrape as much of the material out as you can and fill the pot with hot water for a little while - it's soap after all - self cleaning :)

I agree - you can probably salvage the pot.

What other hobby can you make a mess and then have the mess turn into soap to clean up the mess? :) :) :)

Back