FOs and colorants for body butters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I made my first whipped body butter today and I'm very happy with it but wish I had added a scent and/or a color.

I have FOs that I've used in soaping, but I'm not sure they're OK to use in a body butter. Same goes for colorants . I have natural colorants and a small amount of micas, both of which I've used in soaping, but I'm unsure if either would be OK to use in a whipped body butter.

Any input is appreciated . Ty :)

Both should be ok in small amounts.

Check the manufacturer suggestions for your fragrances, there should be a suggestion for leave on products on the MSDS. Pretty sure it’s generally 1-2%.

Colorants might be a bit of trial and error. I have 15cc scoops that I use but I also make small batches. You can always add more later but too much colorant will leave streaks on your skin

Sometimes a scent at 1-2% can be a little strong in lotions, scrubs, butters, etc. Citrus or light florals or herbaceous EOs are usually okay at that dosage range, but it can be too much for heavy or pungent scents. I often try new fragrances at 0.5% in B&B products, and see what I think.

I hadn't thought of the difference between leave on versus wash off. Tyvm :)

Using color in body butter has been a hit or miss for me. I have found that color doesn't hold well in my butters so I leave it out now. I use about half the usage rate to scent them. I can smell my family coming a mile away even with a light scent.

As I think back that was years ago, maybe I should try again. I buy much better color these days.

Yes, please check with the manufacturer as to whether a soap scent can be used for other products. There are many that are fine as soap scent but not leave on products.

Actually, the majority can be used in B&b if they can be used in soap. Just at a lower percentage.
Too true. I tend to be overly cautious. Of my 70 oils I think there are only 2 that are soap safe but not lotion safe. And if I were selling I would definitely be super cautions. For my own use, ehh, I would try it if I wanted.

I use MMS Fragrance Calculator to determine the amount of EO/FO to add to the product I'm making. Here's a link:
https://www.thesage.com/calcs/FragCalc.html

Since EO's differ a lot, and for creating blends, I find the results very helpful. For FO's, if I'm not using an MMS FO, I just find something close to the one I'm using and use that. The result for various FOs is not that different from one to the other. FYI: BB also has a fragrance calc.

I don't usually color body butters, but if I did, I would use herbal infused oils known to be beneficial for the skin. Off the top of my head: Carrot (orange), Calendula (warm yellow), Comfrey (soft green), St. John's Wort or Yellow Dock Root (pink, red, raspberry pink).

I don't usually color body butters, but if I did, I would use herbal infused oils known to be beneficial for the skin. Off the top of my head: Carrot (orange), Calendula (warm yellow), Comfrey (soft green), St. John's Wort or Yellow Dock Root (pink, red, raspberry pink).

I hadn't even considered that idea, ty

I use MMS Fragrance Calculator to determine the amount of EO/FO to add to the product I'm making. Here's a link:
https://www.thesage.com/calcs/FragCalc.html
Since EO's differ a lot, and for creating blends, I find the results very helpful.
St. John's Wort or Yellow Dock Root (pink, red, raspberry pink).

I just wanted to bump this as I see many (not necessarily here but else where) that just use a 5% for scenting, including EO's ! This can be very bad and why we hound newbies about NOT selling. EO's are very different then FO's and can cause some serious injury to the skin if not use correctly.
One reason I like NG as it lists it for all usages.

I was actually here doing searching and needed to book mark this calc ! So thank you very much.

Also want to point out that St. John's Wort can make you very sensitive to sunlight so be careful in using it.

Latest posts

Back