Forum changes (put all issues found on this thread)

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by SaltedFig, Jan 30, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 1, 2018 #401

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin   Supporting Member

I was poking around and found this World Clock.

You may want to play around with it, see if you can set your timetable to UTC (Universal Time, use to be Greenwich Mean Time) for the timing of your events here. If everyone had the link, they can use it to convert the time to their local timezone.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

You may want to play around with the countdown counter.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/create

2. May 5, 2018 #402

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

I am viewing SMF on a desktop computer using latest version of Firefox. There's a box at the top in which messages randomly fly by. Some times a message is visible, but when the message changes on its own, a new message slides by so fast it's unreadable and a blank box remains. It's weird and mildly annoying. I'd love to turn this off, but if this "ticker box" is an unavoidable feature of the forum, then shouldn't it actually work?

3. May 5, 2018 #403

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I have been seeing this for a couple of days, too. Very annoying, I agree. (Laptop, windows 10, FF)

4. May 7, 2018 #404

Angie

Angie

Angie

That is the notice box. The Supporting Member announcement is priority, but the announcement of the new challenge needed a place to be also. If you are a Supporting Member you will not see that notice. You will only see the Challenge notice.
    I'll look into it more to see if there is something more, even if only slowing the announcement down.
    You can now dismiss the Challenge notice after you read it, so that would be one less for you to have on the screen.

5. May 7, 2018 #405

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin  

Does the Challenge notice disappear automatically once you've read it, or is there something you need to click on to opt out of seeing it? I ask because I can no longer see the Challenge notice (although I see you are currently online and may still be fiddling with it). If it automatically disappears after having read it, I believe that will cause an issue since it will take away the permanent easy link from the folks actively participating in the challenge (i.e., they'll now have to go search for the challenge thread in the Lye-based subforum, which is very annoying).

IrishLass :)

6. May 8, 2018 #406

Angie

Angie

Angie

I have made it where it does not disappear. So the two notices should rotate. I have not found a way to slow the rotation speed. If a member is already a Supporting Member or Sponsor, they will not see that notice and only see the Challenge notice. I have Admins seeing both notices so I can make sure they are working correctly.

7. May 8, 2018 #407

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

The "support SMF" notice isn't completely invisible to me (a supporting member). It scrolls by so fast it's impossible to read, but the blink as the ad slides onto the screen and then off is definite and a little disconcerting. Now that you've explained things so I know what's going on, I'll ignore it, but I bet I and Earlene aren't the only ones who have been wondering. ;)

8. May 9, 2018 #408

earlene

earlene

earlene

I see both notices, the first one is the Support SMF slider. Then it stays blank for about 4 or 5 seconds, which at first had me wondering what happened. I just looked again and what I am getting is a 4-5 second blank spot in between the Support SMF and the Challenge Thread links. Then they repeatedly slide back and forth between both. They don't stop at all. There is no blank pause between the Challenge links and the Support notice.

This repetitive sliding back and forth between the two is new, as I did not see them doing this a few days ago. I only noticed it tonight, but I haven't been on the forum a lot since I've been on the road since Sunday.

9. May 9, 2018 #409

Angie

Angie

Angie

I have made another tweak and Supporters should not see the announcement. Let me know if you still see it.

10. May 9, 2018 #410

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

Definite improvement, Angie! I'm not seeing the "support SMF" announcement now.

11. May 11, 2018 #411

earlene

earlene

earlene

Thank you, Angie. I don't see it anymore.

12. May 11, 2018 #412

Angie

Angie

Angie

Thanks for the feedback letting me know it's working as it should.

13. May 14, 2018 #413

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Can we post requests here? If so...*

Would it be possible to get a "back to top" or "back to new posts" button at the bottom of each thread? The former might be a better option for those who don't read only "new posts" like I do. I'm just really lazy and don't want to do the page up-up-up to get back to the "new posts" menu at the top of the page.

*If not the correct place to post, Admins are welcome to move it, delete, or whatever fits the situation.

14. May 14, 2018 #414

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

This notice was in my Alerts today:

Your post in the thread Bottles and tubs - Southern California was deleted. Reason: Read rules - ypu have not been active on the forum for 2 1/2 yrs

While true, I haven't been active on the forum for 2 1/2 years (!) since I joined only a year ago, I haven't had a problem using that Forum. Is the "2 1/2 years" a new rule?

15. May 15, 2018 #415

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin  

Zany- you did nothing wrong, but unfortunately your post got caught in the "deletion vortex", so to speak, by virtue of being a part of a thread started by a long-inactive member who posted her sale in violation of the rules for that section. The first rule for that section states:

The OP had not been active on the forum for 2 1/2 years.

IrishLass :)

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  16. May 15, 2018 #416

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Thank You.gif

IrishLass likes this.