Forum changes (put all issues found on this thread)

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by SaltedFig, Jan 30, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 7, 2018 #341

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Supporting Member

Wowzah, that was fast, thank you!:)

After the first overwhelming feeling of new things to familiarize myself with (me ---> :computerbath:)
    so far I can say I really like it.

Thanks so much, it must have been a huge task!

Angie likes this.
  2. Mar 11, 2018 #342

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

The drafts are no longer saving for me. Did this feature get turned off? I really liked it and even if it doesn't automatically erase what I erase, I'd rather have the saved drafts than not.

Composing a reply and moving to another window to copy a link and coming back to a response-in-progress has become impossible for me without the saved draft feature. I don't know if it is me or the forum that is affected. I have the same problem in FF & Chrome, on computer and on tablet. I didn't used to have this problem, but I am also not using my own computer. However FF has always worked the same for me on my computer as it did on my tablet (I thought, but could be wrong, because I don't like typing on my tablet so didn't use it as often.)

If the saved draft feature is still working for others, do I need to go back into my preferences and change something?

Okay, maybe this is the issue I am having. I will stop using quick reply. But I still had the issue with a quoted replies, so for me the draft feature is still not working. Do I have to use only advanced reply to get the draft feature to work? I really liked it when it was working.

Testing draft saving feature. I am using 'more options' below the quick reply box, as Angie said drafts are not saved for quick reply.

I will now go to another window to see if my draft is still here when I get back.

Yes, upon return it is still here.

[​IMG]

Dough scraper (aka pastry knife by some descriptions).

Well, that was the issue. I was using Quick Reply and it wasn't working. Please disregard.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Mar 12, 2018 #343

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin   Supporting Member

I love when it's still working and a momentary mind lapse, or just learning how the forum now works is the issue.
    But, thanks for posting that, as it's got to help someone that has that issue but does not say anything.

4. Mar 15, 2018 #344

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Supporting Member

This isn`t an issue per see, as much as a request, and I do apologize if this is asked already, but I have such a headache or else I would rifle through all the pages to check before I go to bed.

Is it possible to add a thumbs up smiley? I have noticed that this an emoticon/smiley type I have missed the most after getting to know the new site. Perhaps I am the only one, but just wanted to ask anyway, because I have replied to several posts that I would have liked to use that symbol instead of a regular smileyface, or noddingface etc. I know we can embed symbols from other sites, (I tried it, it became so huge even as a thumbnail, lol) but I would love to have it here for simplicity when replying real quick.
    Thank you, and night`y night :goodbye1:

5. Mar 16, 2018 #345

Angie

Angie

Angie

Well now, that took a few minutes to fine one.

But, hope this will do. :thumbup:

penelopejane likes this.
  6. Mar 18, 2018 #346

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. Mar 18, 2018 #347

earlene

earlene

earlene

Are the techies at Xenforo able to build redirect links from the old to the newly renumbered threads? This is what was done with another forum I participated in when we transitioned from one forum service to another. I don't know the details of how it was done, but I assume some algorithm was involved.

Also, are they still working on providing an 'advance to' number entry box option to allow users to enter a specific number in order to advance to a specific page number in long threads? Wondering if it got lost in the long list of things to do. Forgive me if I seem naggy.

8. Mar 20, 2018 #348

Angie

Angie

Angie

I don't remember ever seeing an advanced to number for posts. I do see the pages of a thread listed at the top and bottom of a multi-page thread. Such as this one. So, I do not think that feature will be coming.

As to the redirect of old threads numbers, I'm not sure that will be able to happen either, but I'll ask to make sure what it would take. It may be finding the thread that was the link, getting that address and editing into the thread/post that contained the link.

9. Mar 20, 2018 #349

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

That's a shame. Previously we could skip pages by 10's (or similarly large chunks).

The difference, being limited to skipping 2 pages, is especially noticeable when looking at large threads (like finding a post on page 10 of this thread), or when looking for an older posts in an otherwise large search (the only way to get to an old post is by loading every 2nd page).

Advanced search has no facility to enter a date range, so there is no workaround that I have found.

10. Mar 20, 2018 #350

Angie

Angie

Angie

I can still jump pages, not just two, so can you. Click on a number and go to that page. If you do 13, then number above and below will show.

upload_2018-3-20_15-38-40.png

after Clicking on that little arrow between the 1 and 13.

upload_2018-3-20_15-39-27.png

There is the back and forth little arrows. The far right was clicked to get this range.

upload_2018-3-20_15-41-58.png

I should have explained that sooner, but I'd not played with it much before.

I hope this helps you get the result you are looking for.

Attached Files:

SaltedFig likes this.
  11. Mar 20, 2018 #351

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Never thought to click on that arrow!

(A double fail! I didn't even get to "What does this button do?"!)

Thanks Angie :D

Angie likes this.
  12. Mar 22, 2018 #352

earlene

earlene

earlene

Our old forum had just such an option, which is why I asked, and I believe someone else earlier in this thread also mentioned this. That is why I brought it up as I thought it was added to the list because it was a lost feature.

Advancing or going back 100 pages in a very long thread is extremely cumbersome without that feature (an entry box to enter a page number to advance pages).

There is a work around, which works with some devices and some browsers, although I would find it useless if I were using my phone or some mobile browsers, but I will share it should someone have a use for the work around.

WORK AROUND TO ADVANCE DIRECTLY TO A SPECIFIC PAGE IN A VERY LONG THREAD:

First open a thread that has several pages of replies. (This works well for threads with hundreds of pages of replies.)

Second, in the url address bar, change the page number to the page number you desire, then refresh the browser and it will go to the page you indicated in the url.

Example:

Here is a thread with 350 pages as of this date
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/what-soapy-thing-have-you-done-today.42556/page-350

If you want to go to page 128 in that thread because you read a post saying something you are interested in is on page 128, then change 349 to 128 and refresh your browser.
    The url will look like this:
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/what-soapy-thing-have-you-done-today.42556/page-128

If you click on a link that does not include the page number you can add it, but make sure to use this format:
    /page-128

SaltedFig likes this.
  13. Mar 23, 2018 #353

Angie

Angie

Angie

Earlene, please take a look at post 350. That explains everything and how to get to a specific page.
    Sorry I didn't remember that advancement in post 348. The terms used did not bring these arrows in the list of page numbers to mind.
    So, just check out post 350, and you can see any page you want in a thread with a large number of pages.

SaltedFig likes this.
  14. Mar 23, 2018 #354

earlene

earlene

earlene

Yes, I did see your post, and it does work as you say, of course, and I do use that method for shorter minimal page advances. But when I need to advance 100 pages or more, that is far too cumbersome. The url page number edit is much faster, with only one simple step as opposed to clicking an arrow 50 times or more. It also works better when a device is slow to respond to each click, which is the case with my tablet, for example.

That's why I shared the url edit technique, as an alternative method. It saves time, frustration and may even help prevent some repetitive motion injuries (at least it will for me.)

But thank you for your explanation.

15. Mar 24, 2018 #355

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

16. Mar 24, 2018 #356

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I’m sure there was a go to page number option. I remember using it several times in the browsing thread.

17. Mar 24, 2018 #357

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Yeah, I missed a lot of embedded links when I first joined. That's why I always say, "Here's the link" and then set it off in a new paragraph.
    Earlene: How did you change the color? When I try to do that, it won't change, it stays the same.

18. Mar 24, 2018 #358

earlene

earlene

earlene

I will try to do it here on my tablet, but it is more cumbersome. On my computer it was easy. Anyway, it does still work as you can see by the green text.

I chose the icon that looks like this: A

I first had to highlight the words I wanted to change color, which I have found is harder to do on some devices than others.
    Then I posted.

19. Mar 24, 2018 #359

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

20. Mar 24, 2018 #360

earlene

earlene

earlene

Oh, I did not realize that is what you meant. I tried that once, too and It didn't stick in the edit, either. I don't know why. I think it should.

Will try editing this from black to some other color after the fact and see if I can make it happen this time:

http://www.google.com/

http://www.google.com/

Edit: I did get the highlighted portion to change color, now let's see if it changes to red when I save.

Edit again: It worked and the link is not broken although the http portion revered back to black.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Zany_in_CO and SaltedFig like this.