Formulation Percentages Guide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Na7asha7aylor

Reaction score
Hi All!
Is there anyone that can recommend a book or website that has a very good database of ingredients and their recommended percentages depending on the type of formulation? TIA

I found BrambleBerry's Guide to be helpful. They also have a lot of recipes you can check out. It's a good starting point. But then you are going to want to learn about Fatty Acids and how they contribute to a balanced bar of soap and what oils/butters contain what.

I found BrambleBerry's Guide to be helpful. They also have a lot of recipes you can check out. It's a good starting point. But then you are going to want to learn about Fatty Acids and how they contribute to a balanced bar of soap and what oils/butters contain what.

Thanks!
I'm looking for something like an encyclopedia of sorts, for example, if I wanted to know the recommended percentage of allaintoin in lotion? In hair care?...Castor recommended % soap/lotion/hair care...so basically a skincare encyclopedia, for oils, extracts and other additives..I know I'm hard pressed to find one with everything...but I'm just tired of hooping from site to site for recommended usage rates...
I have found that some suppliers do have some notes, but it's never consistent (as in they will specify for some ingredients, but not others)... Marie Rayna's site is great too, but sometimes I don't get enough info...I'm at the point in my skincare formulation journey where I need a little more help with organizing all the things in my brain (and on paper)

If it helps in making a recommendation, I would say I'm intermediate level when it comes to practice..but somewhat advanced when it comes to knowledge (still still far from it and far far from expert lol)

I'll edit my question, I def wasn't clear enough. But thanks so much for responding !!

If you can handle the disorganization, and don't mind paying the $1/mo minimum subscription fee, the Swifty Crafty Monkey blog has great information.

Beyond that, I think what will give you the level of knowledge that you seek is a paid skincare formulation course. Marie Rayma recommends one on her site; that may or may not be the same one recommended by Susan at Swifty Crafty Monkey.

But if that's not affordable for you (they aren't cheap), then I think you are back to scouring the web and trying to synthesize the different information as best as you can on your own.

If you can handle the disorganization, and don't mind paying the $1/mo minimum subscription fee, the Swifty Crafty Monkey blog has great information.

Beyond that, I think what will give you the level of knowledge that you seek is a paid skincare formulation course. Marie Rayma recommends one on her site; that may or may not be the same one recommended by Susan at Swifty Crafty Monkey.

But if that's not affordable for you (they aren't cheap), then I think you are back to scouring the web and trying to synthesize the different information as best as you can on your own.
Yes, I think you may be right!!

Thanks for responding!

I'm looking for something like an encyclopedia of sorts, for example, if I wanted to know the recommended percentage of allaintoin in lotion? In hair care?...Castor recommended % soap/lotion/hair care...so basically a skincare encyclopedia, for oils, extracts and other additives..I know I'm hard pressed to find one with everything...but I'm just tired of hooping from site to site for recommended usage rates...
I have found that some suppliers do have some notes, but it's never consistent (as in they will specify for some ingredients, but not others)... Marie Rayna's site is great too, but sometimes I don't get enough info...I'm at the point in my skincare formulation journey where I need a little more help with organizing all the things in my brain (and on paper)

If it helps in making a recommendation, I would say I'm intermediate level when it comes to practice..but somewhat advanced when it comes to knowledge (still still far from it and far far from expert lol)

You're not going to find a definitive guide because a lot of stuff is based on personal preference and overall combination of ingredients.

I'm just getting started on lotions and a resource that I would highly recommend is becoming a Patreon with Keeley at Soy and Shea (Create with Soy and Shea). She is absolutely amazing and I am in complete awe of how she finds the time to do all the things that she does, but then again, she is very well organized. She has a shop and is active on FB, IG, YT and her Patreon page. While she shares some recipes via YT, you get a heck of a lot more via Patreon and her private FB group. In addition to sharing all kinds of recipes, she gets in-depth on ingredients, provides general tips & tricks, resources, how to formulate, etc. She makes soap, candles, melts, bath & shower, face creams, hair care, hand & feet, moisturizers & balms, body sprays.

You're not going to find a definitive guide because a lot of stuff is based on personal preference and overall combination of ingredients.

I'm just getting started on lotions and a resource that I would highly recommend is becoming a Patreon with Keeley at Soy and Shea (Create with Soy and Shea). She is absolutely amazing and I am in complete awe of how she finds the time to do all the things that she does, but then again, she is very well organized. She has a shop and is active on FB, IG, YT and her Patreon page. While she shares some recipes via YT, you get a heck of a lot more via Patreon and her private FB group. In addition to sharing all kinds of recipes, she gets in-depth on ingredients, provides general tips & tricks, resources, how to formulate, etc. She makes soap, candles, melts, bath & shower, face creams, hair care, hand & feet, moisturizers & balms, body sprays.
Thank you very much! I will definitely check her out!! Thanks for taking the time!!

Latest posts

Back