Formulating Soap for kids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolaM

Reaction score
I’m making some Cp soap for kids aged 5 and up. But got myself in a bit of a muddle looking over my various recipes and trying to modify them.
I know for babies the general soapcalc rules go out the window. But what about older children?
I’m imagining you still want to give them a bar high in conditioning with much less cleansing properties than a bar an adult might use?
That being said what should I aim my cleansing to be at?
Should I be keeping the coconut oil to a minimum?
Any suggestions welcome!

A good m&p base works well for kids and you can pour all types of shapes. My oldest granddaughter has my eczema problems and uses m&p most of the time. She uses one that is all synthetic not soap based. Not all synthetics are bad for everyone. Kids love fun shapes and fun colors.

If opposed to m&p I would go with a very low CO or PKO soap and use sorbitol to help with lather. In my experience sorbitol adds more bubbly factor than sugar

I use M&P base for fun shaped soaps for my grandson. They are quick and easy to make. You don't have to wait for the soap to cure. It makes great stocking stuffers and last minute gifts.

I use M&P base for fun shaped soaps for my grandson. They are quick and easy to make. You don't have to wait for the soap to cure. It makes great stocking stuffers and last minute gifts.
It can also get a child that does not like to bathe to want to bathe. I had a customer a few years ago who's son would only bathe, without an argument, if he had is lego or lifesaver soaps. A good m&p base is much gentler to a child's skin than cp or hp soap

Good to know, Ive never actually tried M&P but i do like the look and versatility of the soaps you can make with it. Shall invest in some for the future perhaps. But for now im stuck with what ive got on hand as i have no soap suppliers remotely near my location.
The soaps are not for sale but for family members, so perhaps i shall just tell them to use them as hand soaps rather than in the bath? Shame though, as i had a bunch of super cute rubber duckies and unicorns i was planning to embed in them. Not quite the same as a hand soap, but better than nothing i suppose...

Hi @lolaM!

I can't tell you from soaping experience, but by user experience..

My 6yr old nephew uses a soap I once bought, and his parents continue to buy, that contains olive oil, shea butter, lil bit of coconut (says the lady who sells it) for bubbles and castor oil. Her only additive is oatmeal, and she colored it a really bright yellow. He has lovely skin and that soap was very bubbly too from my recollection. His mom actually uses the same for her face. It's not a very hard bar, mind you, but it lasts a decent amount of time considering the kid loves his lather.

Maybe play around a calc if you have those ingredients, and see if those work for you? From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, even a small amount of coconut or none will clean, so you don't need to use much. Try a few small batches and you'll see how also sometimes the numbers aren't always right (like in Castille, brine soaps or ones with high superfat).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back