Formulating Goat Tallow Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
I have 672 grams of goat tallow to play around with. That should give me plenty to try since I only make very small batches at a time. This is what I'm thinking about doing. I would love some feedback if you have any pointers.
1637469383566.png
1637469453133.png

I'm aiming for a hard, long-lasting bar with a decent amount of bubbles that isn't too drying. I'm thinking it would also be wise if I added citric acid to this batch to help stave off DOS. That's also why I decided to superfat at 2%. Are my cleansing numbers going to be too high at 14? It's dry air season right now, and I'd love to have a soap that isn't so stripping. Will it still be stripping if that cleansing number is coming from only 9% coconut oil?

Will it still be stripping if that cleansing number is coming from only 9% coconut oil?
Probably not. BUT goat tallow is one of the few oils that brings considerable bubbly and cleansing numbers all by itself (due to how the stomach of ruminants works).

Your recipe as-is is fine, but of course infinite tweaks are possible. Like, castor does its magic at just 5%, no need to go beyond that.
As-is, this recipe is well balanced, in the sense that it fumbles at any of the marvelous qualities of the tallow to make them “just that bit better” like we're used to it from cheering up recipes from technocratic specialty oils (coconut, palm, HO sunflower, soy wax…). Nothing wrong with that, but you're probably missing the chance to judge how much of the qualities already come from the tallow itself. How bubbly is the natural myristic content of the tallow? Was it really the shea that added some luxurious silkiness to the bar?

My very simplistic variation of your recipe would hence be: raise the goat tallow to 60%, lower castor to 5%, and throw out all other oils except 35% almond or olive. This won't change the longevity number, and the “cleansing/stripping” properties are now as low as humanly possible. To be on the safe side with solubility/bubbliness, use sugar/sorbitol/aloe vera juice.
This is only a suggestion. You have enough tallow to try both, and still have some left to play around in other recipes.

I'm a tiny bit jealous on you. I've been on the look for goat tallow for quite some time (with low intensity, though), and haven't found a source yet.

Does the goat tallow smell like goat?

Thanks RO! I just might try that 60% advice.

I'm a tiny bit jealous on you. I've been on the look for goat tallow for quite some time (with low intensity, though), and haven't found a source yet.

It does smell a tiny bit, but not really like goat. It smells... hmm... I want to say sort of like milk that is on the brink of going bad. It's not a very nice smell, but it's so slight that I would think it will go away with saponification or a fragrance to cover it up.

As to how you can get you some goat tallow, that's easy, just raise yourself a goat or two! ;) ;) :nodding:

I'm aiming for a hard, long-lasting bar with a decent amount of bubbles that isn't too drying.
Well done! :thumbs: :thumbs:
However, I agree with @ResolvableOwl -- 5% castor is recommended -- 9% is high enough to be sticky.
Good question! I was wondering about that too.
TIP: Use Oakmoss Absolute (10%) if you can find it, to neutralize the odor of animal fats in CP/HP.
I'm thinking it would also be wise if I added citric acid to this batch to help stave off DOS.
I use antioxidants ROE (33%) and vitamin E to prevent rancidity. I have been doing that for 17 years and no matter what blend of fats used, or lye discount, I've never experienced DOS. NOTE: Bars are cured on cooling racks away from direct sunlight.

After trying your formula, here's a tallow soap guys tend to like for its cleansing & conditioning values.

Attachments

• GOAT TALLOW 112121.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back