Formulating a Recipe - Please Help!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

glasgowsoapcompany

Reaction score
Hi!

I am trying to formulate a recipe which produces a soap I can use both to swirl and to make texturised tops.

I am considering 30/30/30/10 Olive/Coconut/Palm/Shea Butter
or
30/30/30/5/5 Olive/Coconut/Palm/Caster/Shea Butter

I want an economical base which is easy to work with, produces a hard, moisturising soap with good lather and I like the 'buzz word' Shea Butter.

Has anyone tried recipes similar to either of these or have a similar recipe which works well?

Thanks so much for your time!

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with lowering your CO a bit. 30% for most folks is pretty drying depening on your SF.

Also, your recipe may not stay fluid as long as you might like. There's a lot of solid oils/butters in there. Also, adding some castor oil would help.

Lard/Olive/CO/Shea makes a lovely soap that leaves plenty of time to work if you're not adverse to using it.

I certainly hope you aren't selling anything yet.

Last edited:

glasgowsoapcompany

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice!

I AM NOT TRADING so dont worry! (Think I will change my name on here until I am up and running to avoid confusion) I am learning with a view to trading. I have worked with M+P for 3.5 years and am in the process of switching over to the lye side!

I did think the coconut may be too high so thank you all for confirming this.

So perhaps should I be looking to go closer to 50% with my Olive Oil, 20 Palm and Coconut, 5 Shea, 5 Caster?

Again, Thanks for you help and advice (and concern!)

Hi!

Where can I find this recipe? (Sorry, new to this site!)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
She posted it then took it down when she thought you were selling. As I would also have.

If you have no objections to using lard, we can give you lots of suggestions on slow tracing recipes.

glasgowsoapcompany

Reaction score
She posted it then took it down when she thought you were selling. As I would also have.

If you have no objections to using lard, we can give you lots of suggestions on slow tracing recipes.
Hi Susie,

Thanks! TBH I would rather avoid animal products but thank you for the kind offer.

Ashley

Seawolfe

Reaction score
I'm sorry but this feels more like a "give me some fishes, I dont want to learn how to fish. No not lard fish! Vegetarian fish!" recipe request.
Check the very bottom of this thread for similar formulation requests.
Learn to use a lye calculator like soap calc or soapee
Check out some oil property lists as seen on Soap Queen. Check out some recipes at www.millersoap.com/

That said, a good basic recipe to start is
55-65% lard (can use palm, but it wont be as luxurious and you wont have as much time for swirls)
15-20% Coconut
5% Castor
the rest in olive oil or similar soft oil (not canola or "vegetable oil")
5% superfat

This recipe gives me lots of time for swirls.

Latest posts