Formulating a New Bastile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a request from a friend of a friend who wants a soap for a family member. She's allergic to coconut and palm oils, is in poor health, and may be starting chemo soon (Final cancer diagnosis isn't in yet), and has no problem with lavender EO in B&B products. So I'm thinking a nice bastile would be good. My go-to bastile is equal wts OO and RBO with a bit of shea. I'm out of RBO right now so this comes to mind:

60% OO
30% Avocado oil
10% butter (I have shea, cocoa, mango & avocado)
0.5oz lavender EO ppo

I can also sub out castor for 5% OO. Another thought; I just received meadowfoam which I've never used in soap so can add some if you think it's beautiful properties will add to it but it might be like jojoba and best saved for leave-on products.

I'm open to all ideas and suggestions! TIA :)

If she's allergic to coocnut and palm, I wouldnt use any of the butters. Especially shea butter since it seems more people are allergic to that one in particular. Most people seem to do ok with cocoa butter.

If you're going to use cocoa butter, go with refined instead of unrefined. All of the ones that are bubbly will probably pose a problem since they are tropical plants as well (palm kernel, babassu)

Avocado butter will probably be your best bet although I havent ever seen any before (just made from avocado). Is it just hydrogenated soybean oil + avocado oil? I've seen those before.

ETA: Are you sure she isn't allergic to avocado? I always get weary with the tropical plant allergies.

Rice bran oil seems to be one of those that few people are allergic to so that might be your best bet.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried Genny's shampoo bar recipe? I ask because I've found it to make a wonderfully gentle body bar, and good news- it has no coconut or palm in it.....nor does it have any of the bubbly oils either, and yet it lathers quite delightfully:

40% Olive Oil
30% Avocado Oil
10% Shea Butter
10% Castor Oil
10% Soy Oil (I tweak mine by using HO Safflower instead of soy)

IrishLass :)

I hate to do this (cause its me), but is lard or tallow an option?

Otherwise Id almost go with an all or mostly OO liquid soap - maybe a little castor oil for bubble help. That way you get the benefit of a castile without the cure wait.

If she's allergic to coocnut and palm, I wouldnt use any of the butters. Especially shea butter since it seems more people are allergic to that one in particular. Most people seem to do ok with cocoa butter.

If you're going to use cocoa butter, go with refined instead of unrefined. All of the ones that are bubbly will probably pose a problem since they are tropical plants as well (palm kernel, babassu)

Avocado butter will probably be your best bet although I havent ever seen any before (just made from avocado). Is it just hydrogenated soybean oil + avocado oil? I've seen those before.

ETA: Are you sure she isn't allergic to avocado? I always get weary with the tropical plant allergies.

Rice bran oil seems to be one of those that few people are allergic to so that might be your best bet.

Thanks for the thoughtful and info-packed reply, Galaxy! I had the same thought about shea: since allergies seem to be increasing, I might want to avoid it. Also, I need to verify she isn't allergic to avocado oil. And...you hit the nail on the head about avocado butter. I just went to the BB web site and it says "Botanical Name: Persea Gratissima {Avocado} Oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil". What type of hydrogenated vegetable oil? I don't know but I'll ask them. If so, I'll just wait for RBO to come in and use cocoa butter.

Have you ever tried Genny's shampoo bar recipe? I ask because I've found it to make a wonderfully gentle body bar, and good news- it has no coconut or palm in it.....nor does it have any of the bubbly oils either, and yet it lathers quite delightfully:

40% Olive Oil
30% Avocado Oil
10% Shea Butter
10% Castor Oil
10% Soy Oil (I tweak mine by using HO Safflower instead of soy)

You know, I've seriously thought about using this recipe, IrishLass, so thank you for the reminder. If I sub the soy or safflower with RBO do you think that might be okay? I just don't happen to have soy or safflower, lol.

I hate to do this (cause its me), but is lard or tallow an option?

Otherwise Id almost go with an all or mostly OO liquid soap - maybe a little castor oil for bubble help. That way you get the benefit of a castile without the cure wait.

Cause it's me, lard or tallow isn't an option, lol. Good idea about bastile LS. I'll give that a go too. Thanks Seawolfe!

You know, I've seriously thought about using this recipe, IrishLass, so thank you for the reminder. If I sub the soy or safflower with RBO do you think that might be okay? I just don't happen to have soy or safflower, lol.

Definitely yes- I think it would be just as lovely with RBO. :)

Awesome! I'll shoot for that see how it works out for her. Thanks, IL!

Also, I contacted BB about the avocado butter and they don't have an exact type of "hydrogenated oil" that's included in the butter. I asked if it would be safe to assume it's soybean, safflower and/or canola and she said that would be her guess too. For the exact info they would have to contact the manufacture to see if they would disclose the info. I also said I was thinking about the possibility of DOS and she said she hasn't heard of anyone having a problem with it. I'll probably make a test batch that includes it to see what I think.

Since it's hydrogenated it likely wont have DOS problems. Hydrogenation changes most of the fatty acids into stearic acid. So, those mono and poly unsaturated acids become saturated. That means you don't have to worry about a high linoleic/linolenic composition because it wont be present in the oil.

Latest posts

Back