Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DessertGuru

Reaction score
Hi...

Total newbie here and need some direction on making bar soap formula using the following ingredients. We're currently making a lip balm using these ingredients and I would like help to translate them into a workable formula to make a bar soap.

Can someone offer any suggestions on a possible formula that will work for making bar soap?

Liquid Oils:
Lemon Oil
Coconot Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
Castor Oil

Essential Oils:
Tea Tree
Peppermint
Clove Bud

Hard Oils/Butters:
Beeswax
Mango Butter

Thanks in advance...

Hemp seed oil does not have a long shelf life, so you can add some rosemary oleoresin extract to your soap to prevent DOS. You really need another oil to add to the recipe. Walmart GV shortening with palm and tallow is a good one to try. I don't use clove bud EO in soap as it can accelerate trace. Make sure to run any recipe through a lye calculator before trying it.

Here is a sample recipe:
Coconut Oil 20%
Castor Oil 5%
GV Shortening 45%
Hemp 15%
Mango Butter 15%

would adding in some tea tree, peppermint, and lemon oil affect? I could use Tamanu Oil in place of Hemp Oil if the hemp oil is going to be a problem.

would adding in some tea tree, peppermint, and lemon oil affect? I could use Tamanu Oil in place of Hemp Oil if the hemp oil is going to be a problem.
Tamanu oil, unless it's super cheap, isn't very cost effective in soap since we aren't sure how much of the good stuff is actually retained after the lye goes on its eating spree hehe.

What other oils are available, or you're willing to use? Let's not include the essential oils just yet. Those don't have as much effect on the outcome of the soap compared to the carrier/liquid oils (not saying they don't affect at all, mind you).

Also, you included lemon oil in the liquid oils.... Typo?

I am not a fan of the smell of tea tree EO. I use it as an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial in slaves, and as a disinfectant in cleaners. Is the lemon oil lemon EO? You can use lemon EO in soap, but the scent is not one that has staying power. You might try litsea cubeba win a blend with peppermint and lemon. 30% litsea cubeba, 30% peppermint and 40% lemon.

Ooo.. never thought of Litsea Cubeba. thanks for that suggestion. that would help with the clean, citrusy scent I'm looking for. Thanks. @lsg

Latest posts

Back