Forgot to add castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tee

Reaction score
Hi! I just made my FIRST 5 lb pound batch, which I was admiring in the mold, when I discovered the lonely castor oil that was supposed to be swimming in harmony with the rest of the oils, siting alone on the counter. How can I figure out the properties of what the soap will be? I tried adding to soap calc but I can't get the amount of lye to work out. Here are the ingredients and the measurements that I used:
38% water (consisting of milk and water), 5% superfat
using
  • 25% 14.25 oz coconut oil, 76
  • 35% 19.95 oz Olive Oil
  • 35% 19.95 Palm Oil
  • (FORGOT TO ADD) 5% 2.85 oz castor oil
  • 12.8 oz goats milk (fresh)
  • 8.81 oz Distilled Water
  • 8.08 oz lye
Is there a calc that I can enter the liquids and lye that I used? or how do i figure this in soap calc?
This math is driving me insane. TIA for you help!!

upload_2019-8-26_16-47-21.png

I punched in your recipe at soapcalc.net and then lowered the superfat until I got close to the lye qty that you actually used. As I expected, because your superfat is 5% and the castor oil is 5% of your recipe, the missing oil negates your superfat. Let the soap sit for a few days after cutting and do a zap test. It may zap if it is slightly lye heavy. I would not throw it out, but let it cure longer (2-3 months) and zap test again. If it is lye heavy it is only slightly, and should cure out given enough time.

Also, I would suggest to not use the default "water as percent of oil weight" and start using lye concentration or water:lye ratio. You'll have much more consistent results as the water qty is based on lye qty. Having less water than lye will leave undissolved lye in your soap which would be dangerous.

Hi AMD! Thank you so much!! I was just researching the water as percent vs. lye concentration and I am more confused than ever now! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this! Do you think this recipe would have been good if I had not left out the castor oil? Or was my water concentration messed up already? I did run this through the calc on The Sage and it says I dont have enough lye

I will let more experienced makers advise you on the lye issue. The fresh goat milk contributes some fat as well so you may still have a small level of SF even without the castor oil.

I will let more experienced makers advise you on the lye issue. The fresh goat milk contributes some fat as well so you may still have a small level of SF even without the castor oil.
HI There! Im not real concerned about the superfat, as that was also a SoapCalc default. I just want to make sure that this batch isnt lye heavy. Thanks for your inpunt

HI There! Im not real concerned about the superfat, as that was also a SoapCalc default. I just want to make sure that this batch isnt lye heavy. Thanks for your inpunt
That's what she meant. It won't be lye heavy in the long run given that you forgot the castor oil because using goat milk would have given you a little extra fat, aka superfat.

As said earlier, forgetting 5% oil negates your 5% superfat, default or not, but having goat milk in there gave you back some percentage of superfat. Also, I've learned that lye is rarely at it's 100% so there will also be some unsaponified fat lying around, aka, hidden superfat.

Latest posts

Back