forgot to add an oil- will it be lye heavy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi! I forgot to add my castor oil to my recipe. I have a recipe with OO, Coconut, Palm, Palm Kernel oil, and castor. I superfatted at 5% and the castor oil was 5% of my recipe. Is it lost? Or have I just made Laundry bar soap?

To keep people from having to jump through major hoops to calculate what you did and to get the best advice, it would be kind if you would be more helpful.

Please give your FULL recipe -- that means ALL ingredients and ALL in weights. Don't give some ingredients in percentages with other ingredients in weights.

Mine wasn't. I superfatted at 3% and left out castor at 5% and it wasn't lye heavy. Lye is never (from what I understand) 100% pure and I used oil to mix my oxide color and it was fine. Who knows. You'll find out in a few days. 🤞🤞🤞

To keep people from having to jump through major hoops to calculate what you did and to get the best advice, it would be kind if you would be more helpful.

Please give your FULL recipe -- that means ALL ingredients and ALL in weights. Don't give some ingredients in percentages with other ingredients in weights.

Attachments

• Screenshot (123).png
    Screenshot (123).png
    56.6 KB · Views: 26
You say in your first post that you superfatted at 5% and use castor at 10%. In the screenshot, your superfat is 0% and the castor is only 2.4%. Not sure which one is correct, so I'll assume the screenshot is the recipe you actually used

Accidentally leaving this tiny amount of castor out of the batch is a non-issue -- the superfat changes by less than 1%. The soap should be fine.

Last edited:
I forgot to say that my soap that should have been lye heavy, was gorgeous and bubbly, even without the castor. Let us know how it turns out!

The recipe you posted in not the same as your description. And based on what @DeeAnna said, I can't be sure that you description hasn't been changed.

Not knowing the truth, there is no way to help you.

Latest posts

Back