Forgot an oil, help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashEcon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some help. I made a batch of soap with activated charcoal last night and this morning realized I never added the castor oil 😒. I only use it at 5%, and my thinking is the soap will still be safe as I superfat 5% in my recipes so it evens out. Does that make sense or am I way off? Other than not having the castor oil properties will it be safe to use? I’m attaching my recipe below (the fragrance weight is not correct but the rest is what I used). Thanks guys!!

Attachments

• 20F68AD9-2560-4D16-B551-6D24A2394C3B.jpeg
    20F68AD9-2560-4D16-B551-6D24A2394C3B.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 7
Sounds silly, but I'd think you could check your recipe for safety by just re-inputting it into soap calc, leaving off the castor and putting the super fat to zero. Yes? Then you'll know if you're lye heavy. If you are lye heavy, you can always salt it out.

I put your recipe minus the Castor oil into a soap calc, and it showed a 6% SF based on your lye amount. 🤣 Because all sap value are approximations, different lye calculators assign slightly different sap values to the same oils.
Regardless, Castor oil has the lowest sap value of the 4 oils, so it's exclusion impacted under 5% of the overall sap value of the batch.
TL: DR your soap is probably fine, and probably still has a superfat.

Sounds silly, but I'd think you could check your recipe for safety by just re-inputting it into soap calc, leaving off the castor and putting the super fat to zero. Yes? Then you'll know if you're lye heavy. If you are lye heavy, you can always salt it out.
I didn’t even think of this!! What a great idea, thank you!

I put your recipe minus the Castor oil into a soap calc, and it showed a 6% SF based on your lye amount. 🤣 Because all sap value are approximations, different lye calculators assign slightly different sap values to the same oils.
Regardless, Castor oil has the lowest sap value of the 4 oils, so it's exclusion impacted under 5% of the overall sap value of the batch.
TL: DR your soap is probably fine, and probably still has a superfat.
This made me laugh 😂 Thanks so much for your help!! Feeing much better I don’t have to throw out the whole batch.

Back