Forcing gel in small molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to make some small color samples in silicone brownie molds. Each “brownie” will be a half ounce square. I’d like to force gel, and I usually do the warm oven trick for my larger loaf molds. I’ve never tried to gel small soaps, and I am curious if anyone has experience or tips to share. Thanks!

I don't think you'd have any issues forcing gel with a smaller soaps if you're using CPOP or any sort of oven processing. With it being smaller, I think it would be easier for the temperature to heat and cool more evenly and as such I think you might not need to worry about it overheating either.

From a blog post from Lovin Soap, smaller batches are at least a little harder to put through gel because there's relatively more surface area for heat to leave.

I can't say that I have much personal experience though since my smallest ones I think were about an ounce or two and relatively thin and I've only made those once before. I can say that I didn't have any issues with making them gel using my regular CPOP methods though.

Last edited:
Heating pads are ideal for small cavity molds, or any molds, for that matter. You can set the mold on a table or other hard surface with the heating pad under it, and a box or other form of insulation over the top of it. This allows you to keep a closer eye on it -- and also not worry about someone turning on the oven with your soap inside, or having the FO stink up your oven.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a recipe or recipes you’re pretty familiar with. Why not just experiment with a small batch or two? I use a high-ish lye concentration and have to put the small cavity molds with batter into a 170F oven for a bit to warm them up if I want them to gel. I shut the oven off when I put them in and might leave them for 10-15 or longer before I move them to the heating pad. If my heating pad is occupied, I leave them in the oven and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Thanks all! We‘ll see how it goes.
It sounds like you have a recipe or recipes you’re pretty familiar with. Why not just experiment with a small batch or two? I use a high-ish lye concentration and have to put the small cavity molds with batter into a 170F oven for a bit to warm them up if I want them to gel. I shut the oven off when I put them in and might leave them for 10-15 or longer before I move them to the heating pad. If my heating pad is occupied, I leave them in the oven and hope for the best.
I’ll do that, and it will be a small batch. Each 1/2 ounce square will be a slightly different color. I think that my smaller mold soaps don’t gel because I am usually just trying to use up batter and not focused on getting them to gel.
I’m still experimenting with recipes, although I’ve been soaping (sporadically) for about 25 years. Every time I think I have landed on a winner I have a few good batches and then get a problem - graininess, or crumbly soap, or excessive ash. I know there are lots of factors (temperature, colorants, quality of ingredients, FO/EO to name a few) that can cause problems, but some of the videos I watch leave me wondering how the artists get their batter so perfect.

Back