For what it's worth...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In regards to how to record your sales at shows as read in this post:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/square-reader-tricks-tips.70438/page-2

I meticulously count all the stuff I take to the show, write it down and leave the paper at home. When I come home I do a recount. Easy to see what I've sold. There's absolutely no time to write things down at a show. I can then record sales however I choose. Old school brain here.

I enter all my stock into square that I take. Square gives me reports fro sales, what sold and also low stock notifications. It doesn’t take long to update it from show to show. I love my square.

I enter all my stock into square that I take. Square gives me reports fro sales, what sold and also low stock notifications. It doesn’t take long to update it from show to show. I love my square.
I find that about 99% of my sales are cash sales and I don't always have time to enter a sale into Square when I'm busy. I, like @soapmaker, inventory before and after just to be certain I didn't miss anything.

This year I will be using SQ (like last year) for just the CC's. Then cash will be just cash, I will count at end and fix inventory from there. Maybe I will write down what sells with cash if it isn't too busy.

This year I will be using SQ (like last year) for just the CC's. Then cash will be just cash, I will count at end and fix inventory from there. Maybe I will write down what sells with cash if it isn't too busy.
Yes if I got square I'd use it only for CCs. I rarely do a show, most buy from our home and they expect to pay cash. But when I do a show, I probably have lost a few sales. I have had some people do an e-transfer and then show me their phone and tell me the answer to the question.

I use my square for all my transactions - cc's, cash, trade, etc., With the reports square offers, it just makes keeping track so much easier if everything is in 1 spot. At my shows I run my booth as if it were a small store, and everything gets "rung up" at the POS, so even if I'm busy, it all gets recorded.
This way people who make cash transactions have the option of getting a receipt if preferred.

I use my square for all my transactions - cc's, cash, trade, etc., With the reports square offers, it just makes keeping track so much easier if everything is in 1 spot. At my shows I run my booth as if it were a small store, and everything gets "rung up" at the POS, so even if I'm busy, it all gets recorded.
This way people who make cash transactions have the option of getting a receipt if preferred.
That sounds wonderful, now all I have to do is find time to learn how to get and use square.

I do the same as Jcandleattic. It's made things so much easier. Plus I get low stock notifications via email every day if my stock goes below the number I set.

@soapmaker - go to the square website, you can check it out there. You get a free card reader. I have several of the card readers and paid for a chip reader unit.

I do the same as JC and Shunt, I use square for every sale. I pay my sales tax every 6 months, so it helps me keep track of what I owe because every sale goes in there. I do have a spreadsheet where I note wholesale, or out of state shows so that I can subtract those from my state sales tax. Square is really easy to use and I like the invoice option - I have a few out of state customers who will message me rather than ordering on the website (that way if they need more lip balms than I have listed, they know I can make more) so I send them an invoice and hold their package until they pay. I treat using it at shows the same way as a store, I tell people "Give me a second to check you out here so that my inventory is correct." I have never had anyone complain. I had one show that was busy enough that I setup my son as an employee so he was able to use Square on his phone and it all registered on my account so I didn't miss a sale. I've also had my kids 'ring up the sale' while I've talked to customers. I can't talk and do something at the same time, so that really helps me out a lot. For shows that I'm by myself, I do print out a list of what I have, then if it's really busy and I have too many customers to keep track of I can quickly make marks on my inventory list and enter it when things slow down.

What are squares?

I meticulously count all the stuff I take to the show, write it down and leave the paper at home. When I come home I do a recount. Easy to see what I've sold. There's absolutely no time to write things down at a show. I can then record sales however I choose. Old school brain here.
Oh, I wanted to comment too that there's no "wrong" way to keep track of your inventory. Sorry I got sidetracked by the Square conversation. The important thing is to find a system that works for you. Starting this year I am double tracking my inventory - so I use Square to track sales, but then I also use a spreadsheet so that I can track COGS (cost of goods sold) and (because I have several outlets for selling) where I sold an item. I "hired" a book keeper for my business this year and this is what she set me up with to keep track of true profitability. [side note: I say "hired" but she's a friend who is a book keeper, but she isn't charging me for her time. I'll find some way to give her something.]

Latest posts

Back