For those who render fats ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Just a possible labor saving step...after cooking the cutup pieces of tallow for hours to soften them instead of taking a potato masher to break up the remaining remnants of the tallow chunks I took my stick blender and made a slurry out of what remained...I don't recall anyone else suggesting this but it works like a charm...I still do 4 renderings with constant removal of debris from the bottom of the cake of fat that forms and I'm not done until the water used comes out clear...gotta love those stick blenders...

Thanks for the tip! I don't typically wet render but think it would also work for dry rendering. It always seems like that last bit takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to finish, and your technique of blasting them with a stick blender seems much more reasonable and satisfying than standing over the smelly mess squishing and poking at it every so often.

Side Note Question: do you find that after 4 renderings the smell is just about gone? I generally render only once and filter it through a coffee filter, but sometimes wonder if I melted/filtered it again it would help neutralize the faint lingering beefy smell a bit.

I wet render, and my experience was that the coffee filter was just too fine and got clogged.

Yes, depending on how much I'm doing I can go through a few coffee filters once one starts to get gummed up. I found it helps to not put too much in at once so it doesn't get the chance to cool down too much before filtering through. But it does indeed add to the time the entire project takes.

Latest posts

Back