For the Karma lovers.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbrown123

Reaction score
I first tried the BB Karma dupe and I really liked it, despite the fact that it was heavy on the Patchouli and not exactly like Karma. I had a few bars put back to save for a friend who is a patchouli lover for at least 6 months.
Meanwhile I tried WSP Karma which OB smells much closer to the real thing. (I like this one as well.)
SO I pulled out the BB Karma today and sniffed and compared to the WSP Karma. They are almost identical which surprised me. The Patchouli is no longer dominate in the BB soap after the long cure time.
The WSP fragrance is basically the same with a much lower cost.
My test is done! Lol!

That's good to know! I tried the BB Karma but didn't like it. It smelled more bitter/muddled than patch to me - even with trying to blend some orange EO on top of it. I actually love a good patch so long as the dark nuttiness comes through. I just tried it in some M&P and bath bombs though. I guess it needed to lye monster to get it in line.

I tried the DayStar one by some other name, but I really hated it. It smells very fake, floral and plastic-y to me.... like bad "silk" flowers. I ended up shredding the entire batch and am hoping that the scent dissipates enough to use the shreds as confetti in a soap without hating it. Of course, that scent is just holding on for dear life. I've been biding my time since September... surely it has to fade at some point.

I have the WSP Karma and like it OOB but I haven't gotten around to soaping with it yet.

I've never smelled real Karma. Just made some of Fragrance Buddy's, which is supposed to hang on as well. It seems okay but light right now. I amy have to try WSP's as well.

Snappyllama that is good to know about the Daystar version. I have a habit of trying the same thing from every supplier! Lol! A SALE makes me do it every time!

Newbie, I got a sample of the real thing from Lush to compare. The Lush sample has a "spicy" something about it that is hard to describe. They give free samples! I bought a small ultra-bland cleanser which is really nice and creamy.

Last edited:
Karma is my favorite OTC scent but it's been very elusive for me. The BB version is so heavy on the patch, everything else is lost. But it sticks forever. I've tried adding 10x orange and it just didn't get there. The NG version which is called Kismet is really close but it won't stick. I just received the Fragrance Buddy Karma which I'll soap with later today. I plan to add kaolin clay to see if it helps hold the scent. FB also lists the safe usage rate of 30% in soap. I won't go that high but I'll certainly try more than 1 oz. ppo. I'll be interested to hear how you like the WSP version, Lbrown. I'm always on the hunt for the perfect Karma!

Krista I think the WSP is the closest to real that I have tried and the bars are holding the scent really well. I think you would be happy with this Karma. No discoloration and no Acceleration. The BB version did discolor to a yellowish soap.

Krista I think the WSP is the closest to real that I have tried and the bars are holding the scent really well. I think you would be happy with this Karma. No discoloration and no Acceleration. The BB version did discolor to a yellowish soap.

I'm definitely going to take your advice, Lbrown. I soaped the Karma from FB and it was well behaved but the scent is morphing. OOB it smells very close to the original but now (5 days later) it's changing into something I don't recognize. Not necessarily bad, just not Karma. I'm going to reserve judgment on it though, until cure is done and I try it in the shower. Thanks for the WSP tip! :grin:

Back