for soap , pure olive?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don187

Reaction score
Hello again , just a simple basic quick question.

what is better for soap and what cures faster, pure olive oil or pomace olive oil ?

if possible whats the difference because i actually dont get it as i am not a native English speaker

thank you :mrgreen:

I use both and find no difference in cure time for any of the grades of olive oils. A single oil soap with only olive oil (no matter if it's pomace, extra virgin or any other grade) requires a longer cure than any other soap I have made. In my experience, the longer the better. My first Castile soap was good at 12 months cure, but much better at 18 months, and better at 24 months. I would expect the same result from other high oleic oils, but have not done a comparison.

If you want a faster cure while using OO, you need to use a lower percentage of in your formula.

What Earlene said.

There seem to be different kinds of pomace, depending on where in the world you are. Where I am (New Zealand) the pomace I buy seems to be olive oil that is not virgin olive. Other soapers may correct me here.
In other places, there is a pomace that contains quite a lot of the olive residue. It can give your soap greenish tinge, I believe.
In my experience, the pomace oil I've used comes to trace a little bit faster than the extra virgin olive. They both make nice soaps that need a long cure. I'm a Castile soap fan. I also like a 80:15:5 olive: coconut: castor oil blend, but I think it also needs a long cure time because of the high level of olive oil.

I'm one who doesn't like high Olive Oil soaps. It makes my skin feel dry, especially all olive. Plus I hate the wait time to make it a good soap. However, I do make one batch a year as I have people who love it. Not many though. I like a better balanced bar of soap with Lard/Palm, Coconut, Olive/Avocado and Castor.

I use regular olive oil not pomace. Many do use pomace though.

"...I'm one who doesn't like high Olive Oil soaps. It makes my skin feel dry, especially all olive...."

I hear this a fair amount, and I accept this, but I also wish I knew why this is true. I suppose I need to dig into this more...

High oleic soap, like olive oil soap, is supposedly high in "conditioning" if you put a lot of importance on Soapcalc's "numbers." The idea that this soap dries the skin instead is contrary to the "conditioning" idea -- just another example of why these names are misleading.

I'm one who doesn't like high Olive Oil soaps. It makes my skin feel dry, especially all olive.

I've noticed this, particularly with olive soap that isn't aged enough! If it's over 50% olive, I'm fine with it as long as it cured a year.

Castile I never like, but I can tolerate it at the 2 year mark. At that point, it's certainly not drying, but I dislike the stringy, snotty lather.

Plus I hate the wait time to make it a good soap. However, I do make one batch a year as I have people who love it. Not many though. I like a better balanced bar of soap with Lard/Palm, Coconut, Olive/Avocado and Castor.

Ditto, my mother and her one friend won't use anything else as makeup removal. I made a large batch in June that'll be late 2018-2021's Castile soap for the two of them.

I use regular olive oil not pomace. Many do use pomace though.

Also ditto. I get the cheapest Grade A from my local discount warehouse. It works great, traces at modest speed, and sets up well. It seems to be 100% California olive oil with no adulteration.

"...I'm one who doesn't like high Olive Oil soaps. It makes my skin feel dry, especially all olive...."

I hear this a fair amount, and I accept this, but I also wish I knew why this is true. I suppose I need to dig into this more...

I think I might have felt it too with castile soaps (I also dislike them) and I think that the soap scum that the Oleic soap produces (calcium oleate) might be the reason for the drying feeling on my skin...

My castile soap was drying at first, I felt. It was worse in the beginning, and got better and better every month. But it is not drying anymore. Actually the total opposite. Very, very conditioning. I love it now, and it has cured for almost a year, roughly. I use my castile soap every day (it is the only soap I use apart from shower gels) and I feel a huge difference compared to store bought liquid soap, which I used before. At first, the liquid soap was better than my castile soap, less drying, but now it has turned around completely. So I guess it has to cure for a looong time. Now it lathers much better too.

What I wonder, is how a hot process castile is compared to a cold process? Is it a difference?

I think pomace is a type of olive oil that are meant for industrial use. It is extracted with solvents after the regular olive oil is pressed out. So it is extracted from a waste product, and supposed to be cheap. And it is not allowed to use in food, since it is carcinogenic. Well, this is what I remember I have read about pomace. It might be completely wrong. We don't have pomace here either, as far as I know.

Back