for soap , pure olive?

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by don187, Nov 20, 2017.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 20, 2017 #1

don187

don187

don187

Hello again , just a simple basic quick question.

what is better for soap and what cures faster, pure olive oil or pomace olive oil ?

if possible whats the difference because i actually dont get it as i am not a native English speaker

thank you :mrgreen:

2. Nov 20, 2017 #2

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I use both and find no difference in cure time for any of the grades of olive oils. A single oil soap with only olive oil (no matter if it's pomace, extra virgin or any other grade) requires a longer cure than any other soap I have made. In my experience, the longer the better. My first Castile soap was good at 12 months cure, but much better at 18 months, and better at 24 months. I would expect the same result from other high oleic oils, but have not done a comparison.

If you want a faster cure while using OO, you need to use a lower percentage of in your formula.

Millie likes this.
  3. Nov 20, 2017 #3

graylady

graylady

graylady

What Earlene said.

There seem to be different kinds of pomace, depending on where in the world you are. Where I am (New Zealand) the pomace I buy seems to be olive oil that is not virgin olive. Other soapers may correct me here.
    In other places, there is a pomace that contains quite a lot of the olive residue. It can give your soap greenish tinge, I believe.
    In my experience, the pomace oil I've used comes to trace a little bit faster than the extra virgin olive. They both make nice soaps that need a long cure. I'm a Castile soap fan. I also like a 80:15:5 olive: coconut: castor oil blend, but I think it also needs a long cure time because of the high level of olive oil.

4. Nov 20, 2017 #4

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I'm one who doesn't like high Olive Oil soaps. It makes my skin feel dry, especially all olive. Plus I hate the wait time to make it a good soap. However, I do make one batch a year as I have people who love it. Not many though. I like a better balanced bar of soap with Lard/Palm, Coconut, Olive/Avocado and Castor.

I use regular olive oil not pomace. Many do use pomace though.

5. Nov 20, 2017 #5

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

"...I'm one who doesn't like high Olive Oil soaps. It makes my skin feel dry, especially all olive...."

I hear this a fair amount, and I accept this, but I also wish I knew why this is true. I suppose I need to dig into this more...

High oleic soap, like olive oil soap, is supposedly high in "conditioning" if you put a lot of importance on Soapcalc's "numbers." The idea that this soap dries the skin instead is contrary to the "conditioning" idea -- just another example of why these names are misleading.

don187 and shunt2011 like this.
  6. Nov 20, 2017 #6

MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA

I've noticed this, particularly with olive soap that isn't aged enough! If it's over 50% olive, I'm fine with it as long as it cured a year.

Castile I never like, but I can tolerate it at the 2 year mark. At that point, it's certainly not drying, but I dislike the stringy, snotty lather.

Ditto, my mother and her one friend won't use anything else as makeup removal. I made a large batch in June that'll be late 2018-2021's Castile soap for the two of them.

Also ditto. I get the cheapest Grade A from my local discount warehouse. It works great, traces at modest speed, and sets up well. It seems to be 100% California olive oil with no adulteration.

shunt2011 likes this.
  7. Nov 28, 2017 #7

ngian

ngian

ngian

I think I might have felt it too with castile soaps (I also dislike them) and I think that the soap scum that the Oleic soap produces (calcium oleate) might be the reason for the drying feeling on my skin...

8. Nov 29, 2017 #8

Rune

Rune

Rune

My castile soap was drying at first, I felt. It was worse in the beginning, and got better and better every month. But it is not drying anymore. Actually the total opposite. Very, very conditioning. I love it now, and it has cured for almost a year, roughly. I use my castile soap every day (it is the only soap I use apart from shower gels) and I feel a huge difference compared to store bought liquid soap, which I used before. At first, the liquid soap was better than my castile soap, less drying, but now it has turned around completely. So I guess it has to cure for a looong time. Now it lathers much better too.

What I wonder, is how a hot process castile is compared to a cold process? Is it a difference?

I think pomace is a type of olive oil that are meant for industrial use. It is extracted with solvents after the regular olive oil is pressed out. So it is extracted from a waste product, and supposed to be cheap. And it is not allowed to use in food, since it is carcinogenic. Well, this is what I remember I have read about pomace. It might be completely wrong. We don't have pomace here either, as far as I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted