Food in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitMommyOf2

Reaction score
I was wondering what your opinion is about putting food into your soap.

I have a recipe for M&P soap that includes mashed banana aswell as crushed pineapple (together with coconut milk). I've made a batch a few months ago and other than the fact that the bars aren't as hard as other M&P soaps, I haven't found any probs. (My worry was that the banana & pineapple might start to rot)

Just a few days ago I've read somewhere though that one shouldn't use fresh food in soap so now I'm wondering... :roll:

What's your opinion? :D

It sounds like it would make for a yummy soap, but I'd be afraid the food would go bad. I've never tried it though.

Usually when you put food in soap (canned pumpkin, strawberries) you have to use a preservative.

When I use things like food I use "Grapefruit Seed Extract" (GSE) to preserve the soap to last longer.

Since I only stayed with M&P shortly, Im not exactly sure what you can use. I think you can use Xathum Gum for a preserve... if I find out I will let you know.

smellitlikeitis said:
When I use things like food I use "Grapefruit Seed Extract" (GSE) to preserve the soap to last longer.

Ahhh.. that explains why the recipe calls for that!.. -And I left it out as I didn't have it! :oops: Well, it's only good that I didn't give that soap to anyone but myself :lol:

I guess I'll have to get the GSE then just in case. And yes, please let me/us know about the Xanthum Gum!

I would not sell em' :shock: .

I would bet they would rot over time. Especially after they are exposed to water...

I know a few people who sells them all the times, and over the course of years (me having them from swaps) they have never rotted. they loose their scents and their strong color.. but never rotted.

smellitlikeitis said:
I know a few people who sells them all the times, and over the course of years (me having them from swaps) they have never rotted. they loose their scents and their strong color.. but never rotted.
Really? Ok, cool, so maybe I'd really just get the GSE and then I'd continue making it? :wink:

Latest posts

Back