Food adds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaAnne

Reaction score
Since most my experience is HP, I've been pretty conservative on adding foods. But now CP is opening up new possibilities. What I am wondering is when you all are adding things like yolks, various juices (freshly juiced Cucumber being the first I want to try) avocado puree (I've done pumpkin and carrot and other things I can't think of right now) etc..

I'm finding I prefer to dissolve my lye with water, beer or Aloe Vera juice because milk makes me nervous, it gets to thick . If I want to add all the other things would it be best to SB them in my oils before I add my lye water. I'm thinking that's the way to do it, but it's nice to hear from soapers who have done it and not just following a recipe.

I've added all kinds of food goodies to CP soap. Milks, juices (aloe & tomato), beer, pureed fruits & veggies (cucumber, pumpkin, blueberries, avocado). I usually add the goodies to my cooled lye water but some folks add them to the oils before adding the lye water. You'll probably have to experiment to figure out which method works best with your recipes. I've never had trouble with beer or aloe making my lye water thick but definitely know what you mean about milk. It's really the milk fats starting to saponify that makes it look thick and curdled. I just hit it with the stickblender to make sure everything is well mixed before pouring into the melted oils.

I think I've got this, I don't know how to delete. My soap is pretty darn good, at this point I think I'm deciding to be confident and just make soap. Love this sight for ideas and I'm going now to make soap.
I've added all kinds of food goodies to CP soap. Milks, juices (aloe & tomato), beer, pureed fruits & veggies (cucumber, pumpkin, blueberries, avocado). I usually add the goodies to my cooled lye water but some folks add them to the oils before adding the lye water. You'll probably have to experiment to figure out which method works best with your recipes. I've never had trouble with beer or aloe making my lye water thick but definitely know what you mean about milk. It's really the milk fats starting to saponify that makes it look thick and curdled. I just hit it with the stickblender to make sure everything is well mixed before pouring into the melted oils.

Thanks so much, I'm going to add some to my cooled lye and see how that goes. :-? Never would have thought to stick blend my lye, wonderful idea... Thanks, especially since I got a bigger deeper SS lye pot. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure when you stickblend the lye solution that you totally submerge the bell portion. Of course wear your protective gear in case there's any splashing but otherwise go for it and report back!

Your technique worked great thanks so much! Yes I always wear my gear :)

My recipe was small, thought you'd like my splash guard.

20160213_100906.jpg

Latest posts

Back