Foamers and unsaponifacables

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I recently purchased some foaming pump bottles for my LS and I noticed a difference in foam quality after a week.

I used diluted soap and further diluted it to the manufacturer’s suggestions. My soap was cloudy (not a concern) and the foam was thin and watery. I was expecting to use less water in my next batch but afte a week the cloudiness settled out and the foam quality firmed up to commercial foam soap density/what I expected. Has anyone played with recipes to see if the unsaponifacables play a roll in foam dispensers? I’d also believe I didn’t mix well enough and osmosis fixed it for me.

Don’t have my exact recipe in front of me but it was similar to:
50% olive
30% lard
20% coconut

What role are you talking about regarding unsaponifiables? Do you mean this change in the foam quality?

If so, I kind of doubt this is the issue. Sure, any unsaponifiable solids are separating out, but that is very likely a minor issue with the foam quality.

Liquid soap doesn't cure in the sense that bar soap does, but there are changes in the structure of the liquid soap over time as the molecules try to organize themselves a bit more. I suspect those changes in the chemical structure are causing the change in the foam quality you're seeing.

Osmosis is not what's going on here.

Change in foam quality is what I was asking about.

I just mixed up my bottle of soap again and the foam became looser again. I’ll have to see if I can get pics of my backup bottle to try and demonstrate what I’m mean.

Chemical structure might not be what I’m asking about. Poorly explained, it’s like the unsaponifacables add extra physical weight to decrease the foam somehow, kinda like using hair gel on frizzy hair.

I suppose reduced lather might happen if there is a large amount of stuff floating around in there. I know excess fatty acids will reduce lather.

But if there's only a trace like I usually see with a recipe like the one you mentioned, reduced lather from floaties and/or sediment doesn't seem as likely. But that's just my guess, not a definite answer. YMMV!

Pics of kinda what I’m seeing. Three pumps each. On the top you can kinda see a crisper line where the soap folded on its self and on the bottom the line is less crisp.

Overall I am happy with how it turned out, so this is probably just me overthinking and jumping to conclusions.

C50C0F7E-756D-428F-8921-BDFF32D16707.jpeg6AEC5D47-6B9B-46FF-8072-43C35F110365.jpeg

Edit: grammar

Back