Foam then fizz. Why?..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwilson9

Reaction score
Personally, I've only used two bath bombs my whole life... So now that I'm trying to make my own, I'm a little lost. I have ordered some which are on the way, but in the mean time, can anyone describe it?... No judgement please hahaa some of the bath bombs I've been making, when put in the water, will puff up with a bunch of foam, and then after 20 seconds or so, the bath bomb will somehow pop up out of the water again - seperate from the foam blob - and then fizz like 'normal', I want to understand why this is. Can anyone explain it? I will take a video and add to this post shortly.

I’ve just made them once, all the others I tried (maybe 5-10) were purchased from Lush, but the process was similar:
1) they immediately start spewing little bubbles and color when in the water, so dense you don’t see the bomb. The ball takes up a rough texture as it dissolves fairly quickly; it’s gone in less than a minute.
2) then you soak in a slightly colored bath with a nice scent for an hour or two.

The fizz is just for a little spurt of fun, the “purpose” is to scent the bath and maybe add some salts and oils, color for the kids (and kids at heart).

Never got a stable foam, but maybe that’s just my limited experience 🤷‍♀️

The one recipe I tried a couple weeks ago had a good deal of coconut oil in it, which left a little film of oil on the top. At first I thought this was a problem (never happened with the commercial ones, and required cleaning the tub afterwards), but then my skin didn’t dry out at all despite a long soak, and was very soft for the rest of the day, so I’m pretty happy about it.

How much fizz, how much foam, and when each occurs, depends on both your recipe and your technique. Lush bath bombs are made with a patented process where there is an inner core covered by an outer layer. This means that you will start with either foam or fizz as the first primary reaction, followed by a secondary reaction of the other (fizz, or foam). Some good YT tutorials about this can be found on Creative Bath Lab, as well as Soap & Clay.

The one recipe I tried a couple weeks ago had a good deal of coconut oil in it, which left a little film of oil on the top. At first I thought this was a problem (never happened with the commercial ones, and required cleaning the tub afterwards), but then my skin didn’t dry out at all despite a long soak, and was very soft for the rest of the day, so I’m pretty happy about it.
This is why I use PS80 in my bath bombs. It doesn't take much to eliminate the oil slick on top of the water which is otherwise created by carrier oils, EOs, and FOs. The PS80 also eliminates the color ring around the tub, or at least makes it very easy to wash off.

If you don't like using PS80, a bit of syndet dish soap (Dawn or the like) will also work. I prefer the PS80 myself, but a good number makers use the dish soap instead because it is perceived as "less toxic," or because it is easier to source and less expensive for them.

Agree with @AliOop watching Creative Bath Labor Soap and Clay will help with many questions. In addition to these excellent resources I use recipes and such from HumbleBeeandme
My best advice is to mix well, make small batches, keep good notes, and use any bath bomb fails as bath powder.

How much fizz, how much foam, and when each occurs, depends on both your recipe and your technique. Lush bath bombs are made with a patented process where there is an inner core covered by an outer layer. This means that you will start with either foam or fizz as the first primary reaction, followed by a secondary reaction of the other (fizz, or foam). Some good YT tutorials about this can be found on Creative Bath Lab, as well as Soap & Clay.

This is why I use PS80 in my bath bombs. It doesn't take much to eliminate the oil slick on top of the water which is otherwise created by carrier oils, EOs, and FOs. The PS80 also eliminates the color ring around the tub, or at least makes it very easy to wash off.

If you don't like using PS80, a bit of syndet dish soap (Dawn or the like) will also work. I prefer the PS80 myself, but a good number makers use the dish soap instead because it is perceived as "less toxic," or because it is easier to source and less expensive for them.
Technique.. I know what the word technique means, but what techniques are used when making bath bombs?..

I recommend watching the recommended YouTube channels to see the various techniques they use. I had to do a fair amount of experimenting to find the ones that work best for me and my basic recipe, as well as techniques that work with special versions that I sometimes make for others (no scent, for instance).

Back